Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Operations at the end of the 1990's/early 2000's.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1534646  by edflyerssn007

My memory from the time isn't great as I'm just too young, so I have some questions for those of you that are old enough.

In the end of 90's, the C3/DM30's were brought online and the GP38's and P72/P75/Diesel hauled coaches were phased out. What, if any, service was ran on the south shore that was single seat from points beyond Babylon to Penn. If not, where were the passengers changed over to electric equipment. Also, what equipment would it have been? M1? M3? M7's didn't arrive until a few years later, IIRC.

Anyways, the reason I'm asking, is that I'm re-doing my model railroad and want to have a mix of 1990's to 2010's LIRR operations going, mostly because that's the rolling stock I've acquired over the years. What, if any, diesels ran into Penn and how was that managed? Any pictures you have would be cool as well, timetables, etc.

Thanks,
ED
 #1534686  by Kelly&Kelly

Ed, the only locomotives that ran into Penn Station were the dual-modes when they came. Their purchase was hyped as an alternative to Port Jeff electrification. As it turned out only a couple of trains daily offered one-seat ride from non-electrified territory to NY using them. On the south shore, diesel passengers transferred to MU trains at Babylon or Jamaica. Some diesels ran through to Jamaica, with a couple to Long Island City during the rush hour. Otherwise, "scoot" service was provided from Patchogue to Babylon back and forth all day.

MU equipment was M1's and M3's which interchanged for awhile but then were operated separately. When the M7's arrived, they joined the service.

Spend some time on Steve's "trainsarefun" Website mentioned above for photos and schedules. That's about the biggest contemporary collection of information you'll find anywhere. Anything specific, just ask.
 #1534715  by Backshophoss

The DE/DM's had teething problems from the get-go,the c-3's had their share as well
The p-72/75 fleet was allowed to fall apart maintenance wise,they were getting what was needed to run legally! :( :(
There was a push to get the cars off the LIRR to Ozark Mountain Rail for resale.
 #1534718  by M1 9147

DM-30AC/C-3’s started direct service between Penn Station and Speonk on both 2737, and 2734 November 8, 1999. FL-9AC/C-1’s started August 23, 1994 between Port Jefferson and Penn Station as Trains 605 and 660. Once enough C-3’s and DM-30AC’s came online, the FL-9AC/C-1’s were retired December 15, 1999. DE-30AC’s with the few C-1’s started September 16, 1998 as Train 603 From Port Jefferson to Huntington when it was still ran as a scoot at that time. Mid-2000 was the demise of the old diesel hauled passenger fleet. Hope this helps.