New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

Post Reply
awtprod
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:16 pm

New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by awtprod » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:40 pm

The lead set (9808-9807) for the train I took home tonight had new fiberglass ends on them. Anybody know if they're doing this to the entire fleet or just ones that are heavily damaged? Also, does anyone know if this pair was involved in an accident that would warrant the replacement? I did a quick search on the forum and nothing turned up.

tahawus84
Posts: 457
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:19 pm
Location: Medford NY

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by tahawus84 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Are you sure they were new and not just repainted? I believe I have seen more than one pair with these refurbished ends but I don’t always catch the numbers.

DutchRailnut
Posts: 22205
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: released from Stalag 13
Contact:

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by DutchRailnut » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:22 pm

seems LIRR just got shamed into changing end of some cars, after pictures of car ends with duct tape emerged
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

BuddR32
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by BuddR32 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:47 pm

The cars that will be equipped with PTC will have the refurbished ends. They are not new caps, just repaired fiberglass and paint. Excellent work by the Mechanical guys.

dieciduej
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 9:37 am

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by dieciduej » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:14 am

Just repaint jobs. Here is 9928 at Hillside, May of this year. It was still tacky.

M3 9928.jpg
LIRR M3 9928, Hillside Maintenance Complex, May 11, 2019
JoeD

Member of IEEE, BSRA, ERA, BERA, SPH&TS, SFRH&MS, RGM&HS, UPHS, NHRHTA, NE PRRT&HS and PRRT&HS

This message was sent from a DEC VT100!

User avatar
PlaneLoverA380
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Railfanning at Mineola

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by PlaneLoverA380 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:26 pm

dieciduej wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:14 am
Just repaint jobs. Here is 9928 at Hillside, May of this year. It was still tacky.


M3 9928.jpg
Stunning! Was this taken on the ERA Hillside tour?
As you leave the train, please step over the gap between the train and the platform

https://m.youtube.com/c/RailstormersRailAviation - My channel, I upload my railfanning catches here.

dieciduej
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 9:37 am

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by dieciduej » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm

Yes, yes it was.
JoeD

Member of IEEE, BSRA, ERA, BERA, SPH&TS, SFRH&MS, RGM&HS, UPHS, NHRHTA, NE PRRT&HS and PRRT&HS

This message was sent from a DEC VT100!

User avatar
PlaneLoverA380
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 pm
Location: Railfanning at Mineola

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by PlaneLoverA380 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Nice. I wish I could have gone, tickets sold out though.
As you leave the train, please step over the gap between the train and the platform

https://m.youtube.com/c/RailstormersRailAviation - My channel, I upload my railfanning catches here.

nyandw
Posts: 3647
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by nyandw » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:53 pm

PlaneLoverA380 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:26 pm
dieciduej wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:14 am
Just repaint jobs. Here is 9928 at Hillside, May of this year. It was still tacky. M3 9928.jpg
Stunning! Was this taken on the ERA Hillside tour?
Very nice! :-)

nyandw
Posts: 3647
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:41 am
Contact:

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by nyandw » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:11 am

BuddR32 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:47 pm
The cars that will be equipped with PTC will have the refurbished ends. They are not new caps, just repaired fiberglass and paint. Excellent work by the Mechanical guys.
What is PTC, thank you.

geico
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:54 pm

Re: New M3 Fiberglass Ends

Post by geico » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:42 am

nyandw wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:11 am
BuddR32 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:47 pm
The cars that will be equipped with PTC will have the refurbished ends. They are not new caps, just repaired fiberglass and paint. Excellent work by the Mechanical guys.
What is PTC, thank you.
PTC = Positive Train Control.

The overbudget not well thought out federal law to mandate operation of trains. (Not blaming LIRR here, the feds didnt think this thru)

Post Reply

Return to “Long Island Rail Road (LIRR)”