Railroad Forums 

• Eastport service by the LIRR

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1491676  by Teutobergerwald

Intrigued by the LIRR's freight service to Eastport in the '80s and '90s, up until the NYA took over the freight business of the LIRR in 1997. How often did the LIRR serve it's customer(s) in Eastport, and, up until the LIRR got rid of them, did the LIRR's last group of Alco Century 420's, #s 222-229, ever make the run, or was that work for the MP-15ac's ? Thanks. If anyone has pictures, please, share them.
 #1569354  by krispy

Service to PT lasted up to the NYA era, though not often. You may want to ask i the NYA forum when that dropped off.
 #1571658  by Dump The Air

around 2007/8/9 PT was quite busy, eastport feeds was taking in a lot of cars and there was briefly a customer loading waste oil on the "team" track on the lead into eastport feeds. at the time this job i believe was called as the RS-30/31 and ran 2 afternoons a week alternating with service up the port jeff. after the recession hit in 2008 the amount of carloads at PT dropped significantly but still would see 1-2 cars a week up through the end of freight service in 2012.
 #1571686  by nyandw

Tank car at new NYA customer 08/2007 Photo: Joe Gregory

Davis Fuel, they had that one tank car in captive service for a few months between PT and wherever it was loaded. I believe they were unloading some non-hazmat part of the bio-fuel process. They haven't had a car spotted in months and may be inactive.