Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Orange And Grey Switcher Locomotives

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1452910  by Head-end View

Seems to me I've seen that pair a lot more recently, unless time is going faster than even I thought it was. Used to see them going west between Jamaica and Harold on track-1 or 2 in mid-afternoon, weekdays.
 #1453069  by Head-end View

ConstanceR46, are you saying it was 2011 when they were last seen daily on that afternoon westbound run to Harold? It seems to me I've seen them more recently than that, but with time passing so much faster with the aging process, my memory could be failing me. :(
 #1453104  by Bad Luck

Though just given some attention recently, the 102 had not even run since August of 2013; the 104 was OOS before that. These were the original orange/grey Harold Protect E-10s.

The two returned that were back to the Long Island, repainted into orange/grey in Pond last year, were the 105 & 106. The pair was operational at the time and has not been in active service since being returned. A complete waste.
 #1453267  by Backshophoss

This was an attempt to acknowledge some of LIRR's history,however the repaints were "brush and roller" jobs,as LIRR no longer has a paint booth,
and with little to no surface prep before the repaint.
 #1453313  by RGlueck

I see no reason why the LIRR shouldn't be celebrated as an individual organization of the MTA. I still would press that some Diesel locomotives be given heritage paint schemes, and some publicity go with it. Something like "spotters" checklists, explaining each era, and what that paint scheme represents. Trying to smear the regional railroads into a blue and white "M"ush is a historical disservice and an opportunity wasted.
 #1453357  by Head-end View

It has been previously stated here by those in the know, that MTA's attitude is (or was) that the LIRR did not exist before they (the MTA) came along, and they do not want to acknowledge anything but themselves in connection with the LIRR. Though that seems inconsistent with photos on the walls at main-line stations showing the LIRR back in the 1950's, etc. We were also told that the gray/orange paint job was done on the sly, over a weekend when management was not present, or some such thing, so it was done before anyone important actually saw it. (Very Robert Moses-like LOL) :wink: