Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1451833  by MADDOG

Hi everyone,
It was a surprise to hear about the passing of Bob Michelle the Chief Mechanical Officer of the LIST chapter NRHS.
He was a longtime member and was instrumental in helping to save LIRR#35 and move it from Eisenhower Park to Mitchel Field in 1977 for restoration.
Unfortunately, that fell through but he worked tirelessly to see that restoration happen until his passing.
His friends at the Oyster Bay RR Museum owe him a debt of gratitude as we wouldn't be here if it weren't for #35.
Rest easy and God speed Bob.
MADDOG
Oyster Bay RR Museum
 #1451886  by RGlueck

Bob a strong determined worker. Good man. Thanks for raising his memory in my mind.
 #1452436  by Kelly&Kelly

Farewell, old friend.

While many of the younger generation of railfans don't remember Bob Michelle, those early members of the LIST Chapter of the NRHS warmly recall this gentlemen. J. Robert Michelle was the fellow responsible for the Engine 35's move from Eisenhower Park, where is was slowly rusting away. Through the generosity of his employer, Zara Construction, the engine was saved from the County's scrap line.

Bob also lead the work parties that during the mid 1970's preserved the string of LIRR coaches that Rod Dirkes and Bob Sturm managed to get tucked away in Howell's siding. Later years brought a handful of these cars to the Bicentennial display and found them homes on other railroads. The Jamaica open-end observation car that graces the Wantagh Museum was also moved by Bob with Zara's equipment.

Remembered by his coworkers for his exceptional heavy mechanical skill, Bob's perhaps most remembered for the coffee and snacks he served at the LIST meetings. In early years, he lead a contingent of kitchen helpers who consisted of George Lind, Ray Kenny, Ed Koehler, Ed Goegler and sometimes Vic Grappone. He served as a mentor and educator to those young teen members as well as to the other older members of the club.

Bob, you were an inspiration to me and to others, and your contributions to Long Island's history will leave a permanent mark.

Both you and your daughter will remain in my prayers always.