Railroad Forums 

• East Rockaway Station - Platform Reconstruction Date?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1450007  by R36 Combine Coach

Head-end View wrote:All LIRR stations in electrified territory had high platforms built in preparation for the new M-1's. So East Rockaway was probably done in 1968-69. The first M-1 trains were running in 1969.
12/30/68. The goal of Rockefeller and Ronan was to have the M-1s in service by end '68. The first 16 M-1s (9001-9016) were delivered from Budd's Red Lion Road assembly plant in late 1968 (October/November) on an expedited delivery schedule.
 #1450049  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

This picture dates from much later then the M1 high level platform construction era - the tip off to me is the text on
the displayed sign - I think that this is from sometime in the 90s remembering that the LIRR had a program to replace
any of the remaining asphalt on wood high level platforms that date from that late 60s/early 70s era. The “meatball”
M further dates this sign to the first half of the 1990s.

Another tip on dating this picture would be to find out when the East Rockaway ticket office was closed. Beginning
in the 90s the LIRR closed many ticket offices to be replaced with TVMs starting with offices with limited selling
hours and was accelerated with the success of the current TVM types which were first installed in 2001.
(The first three TVMs 1201-02-03 are in a line at Penn Station in the main entrance area near the MTA Police office.)

MACTRAXX
 #1450064  by fender52

For some reason, I want to say that the East Rock Ticket office closed in the early 80's.

From the early 70's up until that time, it was a Monday only and 1st of the month station that was open from 6:10 to around 9 or 9:30 AM. The other stations that were like this were Island Park, East Rockaway, Malverne, Merillon Ave and Albertson.

They all were miserable places to work, if there was heat, it never worked and some were basically large closets. The only one with a bathroom was East Rockaway because it was a trailer.

The only good thing about them was that you were basically finished for the day when you back to the Agency and if the agent was good guy, most times he let you go for the day.
 #1450169  by MACTRAXX

Steve: From looking at this picture some more I will add that this building looks to be already closed up and used for
storage from reading Fender’s memory of working at ER. Another tip off is the small sign on the trash receptacle of
a anti-litter campaign that the LIRR used back during the late 80s/early 90s...

For a decade (I believe centered 1985-1995) the LIRR moved to reconstruct high-level platforms that were originally
constructed with the forementioned asphalt on wood and replace them with their then-standard concrete slab type
platforms. I believe that one of the last if not the final remaining platforms of this type were at Huntington which
was one of the toughest stations to replace because of how busy this station is - it was accomplished by doing the
replacement in four separate stages to minimize inconvenience to riders there.

Fender brings up something interesting about LIRR ticket offices that had limited sales hours - some stations were
only open for sales during the AM Peak and/or Monday and first of the month only. For a time I wanted to purchase
at least one ticket from these stations and tried to visit these more obscure offices and I discovered that some of
these offices were little more then a small booth with a dutch-door window (Albertson and Merillon Avenue were
prime examples) or small waiting rooms and offices (East Williston and the pictured East Rockaway as examples)
that would be gradually closed during the two decade purge (1990-2009) of stations with slow ticket sales.

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1450201  by CTG

The picture is indeed from the mid 1990's. I commuted from East Rockaway for a time in the late 1980's and the station building was still there. At that time the station platforms were built above the old low level platform. Some time around 1994, the platforms were all rebuilt and at that time the station building was demolished. The ticket office had been closed for many years. Up until around 1990, the ticket office was open on Monday mornings only.
 #1450212  by nyandw

fender52 wrote:For some reason, I want to say that the East Rock Ticket office closed in the early 80's.

From the early 70's up until that time, it was a Monday only and 1st of the month station that was open from 6:10 to around 9 or 9:30 AM. The other stations that were like this were Island Park, East Rockaway, Malverne, Merillon Ave and Albertson..."
Thank you. I looked it up and your memory is good!

MONDAY-ONLY AGENCY PER "LONG ISLAND RAIL ROAD TICKET OFFICE HOURS" LISTING OF 9/18/67. Research: Dave Keller
 #1450260  by fender52

Thanks Mac......You are right about Albertson and Merillon Ave having the dutch doors. They also had a gas heater next to the door that stunk when it went on. Unfortunately, some locals used the door as a urinal.

As I said, they weren't bad jobs, but you had to lug the portable ticket case with you. After a while, someone got smart and left the case there and uses a briefcase.