Railroad Forums 

• Location Identification Needed

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1449285  by newkirk

Thanks LB. I'll correct that date on my slide. Would this photo be Oceanside ?

#1449297  by LB

Newkirk, not sure on location of the photo. Have you tried looking at the 1966 Aerials of Nassau County and try to match things up with the structures and candidate locations? Many stations had a picket fence style divider between the tracks, so those locations can be ruled out. I suspect both photos are pre-1966.
 #1449302  by newkirk

Many stations had a picket fence style divider between the tracks, so those locations can be ruled out. I suspect both photos are pre-1966.
Just went through some old snapshots from December 1986 and found this one at Oceanside. What confused me on the first picture is why a baggage car on the Long Beach branch ?

#1449364  by newkirk

Backshophoss wrote: LIRR did decent express business by hauling the Morning and evening editions of the Daily newspapers.
Thanks for the explanation. I didn't know the LIRR was still using baggage cars for newspaper deliveries that late.

And now a new image that deserves a location explanation. The Electric Railroaders Association chartered the GT/E train for a November 13, 1977 fan trip. As far as the location goes, it's all the way out east. Does anyone know where this location is ? Is it still in use today ?
 #1449377  by Bad Luck

This is the Grumman spur in Calverton which went to the old Naval Weapons Reserve/Airport. Freight service ceased in 1985, and the rails (most of which were still there) were relaid a few years ago for NYA service.
 #1449382  by R36 Combine Coach

Bad Luck wrote:This is the Grumman spur in Calverton which went to the old Naval Weapons Reserve/Airport. Freight service ceased in 1985, and the rails (most of which were still there) were relaid a few years ago for NYA service.
Should be the Executive Airpark (EPCAL) industrial park, if I'm right.
 #1449549  by newkirk

Looks like a grade crossing elimination project, but where ?

#1449596  by newkirk

interface76 wrote:That one was determined as Floral Park a while back - Bellerose can be seen (already elevated) in the distance.
Thank you, I thought it would have been on the south shore (Babylon Br), but I was wrong.

This obliviously is Floral Park earlier. I guess that storage building is not there today. What is there today ?
 #1449650  by nyandw

This obliviously is Floral Park earlier. I guess that storage building is not there today. What is there today ?
Image[/quote]

Looks like office buildings.. Can you read the modernization number or the 4 digit car number?
Modernization numbers: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/modern ... umbers.htm

The car has Dashing Dan at the left end and the 2nd car is in the dark gray color scheme. Dan first appeared on passenger cars in February, 1959, according to the "Long Island Railroader." The grade elimination project at Floral Park began in September, 1960. There doesn't appear to be any construction evident in this image but everyone is wearing winter coats, so, despite the age of the automobiles, I would say the image was shot shortly after Dan was stenciled in February, 1959.
Dave Keller input.
 #1449689  by newkirk

I re-scanned the slide and since this is a dupe of a dupe, it's very hard for me to make out the numbers clearly.

The modernization number looks like 493 and the car number looks like 4783 but those numbers don't match up

with the link you provided and the MP-54 roster by trainsarefun.com. Also in the trainsarefun.com roster, it looks

like 4783 was retired in 1960. If I had the original slide, we'd be able to make out those numbers.

Thanks for your input.
 #1449719  by scopelliti

I hit the image with some focus software, etc. Might be car number 4389 which is listed in the roster as a combine. Yeah a more original slide might help :)