Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1445976  by newkirk

Was this unit to be Power Pack #623, or just a parts donor ?
Some interesting stuff in the yard too.

#1445998  by DutchRailnut

A 5th F7 was purchased, B&O 4535. It was to become LIRR #623 but it never
materialized and was parted out and scrapped.
 #1446010  by newkirk

"A 5th F7 was purchased, B&O 4535. It was to become LIRR #623 but it never
materialized and was parted out and scrapped".

Thanks Dutch.
 #1446059  by DutchRailnut

The Turbine M-1 is of more significance
 #1446110  by newkirk

"The Turbine M-1 is of more significance"

Something tells me the GTE's pictured are the Garrett Research cars.
 #1450228  by ConstanceR46

i mean didn't we just scrap a couple p72 coaches to get more space? i mean powerpacks were a symbol of the lirr diesel ops, it's the second best thing to pulling a c420 out, i feel like this has the chance to be a sucess story or a missed opportunity
 #1450242  by Backshophoss

Under SEPTA 615 and 622 were in track washer and possibly sandite spreading services,the historical group in Va,possibly could not match what
SEPTA wanted for the "remains" or were rejected for Interchange by CSX.
Like the P72's and P75's, had barely FRA legal maintenance done to keep them in service till all the C-3's were online.
Sandite is like road salt and can be very corrosive on metal underframes,trucks and carbody sheet metal.

One of the "FA" power packs has been partly restored back to a FA on the Valley RR in Conn in NH colors.
 #1450254  by cr9617

Sandite is nothing like road salt. It is no more corrosive than regular water. Its three ingredients are water, silica, and a clay called fuller's earth. The railroad recently switched from a BASF product and there was much hoopla over if the new product was safe for us to handle. In fact we have problems with it freezing when its cold.
 #1450279  by glennk419

DutchRailnut wrote:the F unit(622) at Septa got cut up, the FA might be next on monday.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ater&ifg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rats. I wonder if Andy Muller could have even used it as a body parts donor for the 2 F7's he just acquired from SRNJ. Guess it's too late now.
 #1450338  by RGlueck

Scuttlebutt has six FL9's belonging to Cnn. Trans Authority going up for auction in short order. None have run in several years. I hate to see New Haven FL9's get the ax.