Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1435898  by nyandw

The trackside building that was located at the spot where the Oyster Bay Branch tracks divert from the main line in Mineola. Years ago there was an accident where a train hit a vehicle and this building was destroyed by the vehicle's engine block going right through the building. I don't believe anyone got hurt in this accident.
I think that the facts are correct.
Does anyone recall when this accident took place? What was the purpose of that building?
 #1435930  by Handtamp

Looks like the Mineola Track Section Gang Shanty, to house the track gang in charge of maintaining Nassau Interlocking and the Oyster Bay Branch.

I believe there is a trailer at this location today, just west of Willis Avenue between Willis and Main Street Xings.
 #1436036  by frankie

This is the location today. Looking west from Willis Ave.

Frankie
 #1436674  by R36 Combine Coach

Date of the wreck: 1/16/90. Based on the wheels, this was a Volvo sedan (even a "robust" Volvo is no match for a Budd M-1).
 #1436729  by ExCon90

I wonder if it was noted whether an eastbound was standing in the station at the time--the motorist might have noticed it and not looked in the other direction (the second-train syndrome?). Gates down and a standing train doesn't mean that's the only train in the neighborhood...
 #1437363  by nyandw

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/mineol ... rrison.jpg
NEWSDAY 1/17/1990

There was a track circuit problem on Track 1 during the AM rush causing the trains to move slowly and bunch up together to the point that the crossing gates remained down; before the crossings could be protected. Train #2015, last stop Bethpage, came up Track 2 at MAS and struck the automobile whose driver had lost patience and operated around the downed gates. The accident happened at Willis Avenue and the car was dragged along by the train causing the engine block to be propelled into the building. The train stopped in Mineola station.

The building was a MOW section house used to store material and shelter employees between assignments. My recollection, which may not be correct, is that the building was damaged by the fire, but remained in service. I specifically recall that Ed Wheeler was the Section D train dispatcher and Marian Carbone was the operator at Nassau. Bob Alley, Jr., now retired, was the engineer. Bill Jeffries responded to the scene.
Account compliments of: Ray Kenny

Might someone define: "...Track 2 at MAS and struck.."? Thank you.
 #1437374  by krispy

nyandw wrote:Might someone define: "...Track 2 at MAS and struck.."? Thank you.
MAS = maximum authorized speed. Normally we go east on 2, west on 1, but during the rush that may change. In the morning we'll go west on both tracks, in the evening, east on both. The trap is impatient people who are intent to cross look at the slower train and disregard the train speeding on the other track, especially if it's going a different direction at high speed. Browsing youtube and other video websites will yield many examples of near-misses and sometimes fatal accidents. Remember also Nassau got decapitated in the '20's by a flat car with lading shifted over the side and the operator just escaped by running into the substation through a door that doesn't exist now.

It's amazing how many times I see at work at Nassau the people who blow the crossing at Main st. on a routine basis. Usually it's women trying to get to a nearby clothes store and for the wait of a few minutes will jeopardize their lives and the lives of others just because they are impatient and don't "stop, look and listen". The engineer always pays the price even if they escape physically unscathed and the vehicles they would use are those excessively large SUV's which will do considerable damage to anyone nearby. I know Main Street isn't on the list to get eliminated but they have got to get rid of the other crossings on the Qns-Divide block before another we lose a van load of teens or a similar tragedy occurs...
 #1437381  by Backshophoss

Has LIRR ever considered putting in Quad gates on Main Street?
Or installing center line dividers as is done on "Quiet Crossings".
Doing both might help.