Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1435658  by newkirk

Anyone know why the M-7's went with the single door leaf as opposed to double door leafs ?

Sorry if this question was brought up before. I occasional read posts here.
 #1435660  by DutchRailnut

less maintenance ?? less cost (electric operator)
 #1435690  by BuddR32

Like Dutch said it eliminated 50% of the door operators and related stuff. Less maintenance, and less to fail. The double door leafs on the M3 do not provide any redundancy, as if one leaf fails the railroad must cut out both leaves, so you still lose the door.
 #1435974  by Head-end View

The single leaf door is also better as an emergency exit so only one door has to be opened manually or using the emerg. mechanism. My single objection to them is that the opening/closing machinery is extremely noisy; ya' know that mechanical whine from the jackscrew. The double doors used a different system and were quiet opening and closing making for a much more pleasant riding experience.
 #1436002  by BuddR32

Head-end View wrote:The single leaf door is also better as an emergency exit so only one door has to be opened manually or using the emerg. mechanism. My single objection to them is that the opening/closing machinery is extremely noisy; ya' know that mechanical whine from the jackscrew. The double doors used a different system and were quiet opening and closing making for a much more pleasant riding experience.
It instantly and still reminds me of the noise the Three Stooges make.