Railroad Forums 

• CIRCUS TRAIN Information-2017

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1433038  by Slippy

scopelliti, wake up and smell the coffee pal. Politics played a SIGNIFICANT role in the demise of not just the Ringling Bro, but the industry in general. Specifically, the animal activists who tend to be in greater numbers on the left. Was it the sole reason? Of course not, technology is also to blame. I am not giving a total pardon to Ringling Bros for questionable past practices, but it really is a damn shame how things turned out.
 #1433039  by DutchRailnut

animal activist had nothing to do with it according to Ringling Bothers own.
Declining sales because everything is on internet did have effect. circuses all over world have been hard hit and really PETA is not anywhere in other countries.
 #1433056  by Liquidcamphor

WORKEXTRA and everyone else on here, I don't want to lock this thread because I was hoping that more photos would be posted. Let us leave the political content out of this thread and keep it civil. I dont like to delete posts because I dont want to be a censor. But if this continues, I'll have to.
Now, can we please see more photos?
 #1433062  by nyandw

I'll go back to my previous post: Thanks, LC... :-) I'm in the process of putting together a history of the circus,via the LIRR, and this may help concerning 2017. Seems the photo sightings, both inbound/outbound this year are well below the usual levels of past years? Anyone?
 #1435721  by LINYARailfan

I contacted Strates shows via phone and they told me that the train will not be coming to Garden City for the Empire State Fair due to the fact they they do not have enough clearance to go through the tunnels.
They told me that for the Uniondale event that the train will be stored in Middletown NY and they will truck everything from Middletown to Uniondale. The train will be in Middletown until the beginning of August.
 #1435782  by LINYARailfan

Backshophoss wrote:Is that because they were not cleared by Amtrak,or the cars are too wide to clear any 3rd rail?
From what they told me on the phone they were not cleared to go through the tunnel which probably means Amtrak refused to allow the train in the East River Tunnels even Line 1 or Line 2. That is all I know.
 #1435785  by Backshophoss

The only other 2 options is to carfloat them from Greenville NJ(NYNJ)or "over the hump" at Selkirk and have CSX bring them to Fresh Pond.
Believe Strates Shows needs to get an OK to be hauled on MN trackage.
Maybe next year. :wink: