Railroad Forums 

• CIRCUS TRAIN Information-2017

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1432464  by LINYARailfan

Starting to assemble train right now with six units. Not sure why they need six engines normally they only need five engines. I guess since the 1500s are gettingredients old they need extra power in case more than one engine fails enroute.
 #1432640  by railfan365

As I write this, the final circus train is on its way from Long Island to Florida for retirement and/or disposition. What I want to ask after the fact is based on the following: 1. The circus owns rail cars appropriate to transporting their entertainers, support staff, animals, and equipment. 2. The train, as far as I know, has been pulled at any given time by locomotives owned by the railroad company whose tracks it's riding on. 3. Occcasionally, there will be one railroad's equipment working on someone else's tracks, like with CSX and Amtrak. Thus, the actual question: Does anyone know why the circus did not invest a few locomotives of their own so that the train could ride around the country without a multitude of engine swaps?
 #1432655  by DutchRailnut

were would they maintain them, as 92 day 365 day etc inspections don't stop ?? and since engine have to idle if temperatures drop near 45 degrees the cost may be way way more than just using host railroads power.
specially since engines in different regions need different cab signal/atc ptc etc
 #1432659  by Slippy

The consensus is that the amount of spectators (buffs) were significantly LESS than last week for the final hurrah. The left wing animal activist people are rejoicing that this Circus completed its final act for good. Little disappointing if you ask me but I guess it is a sign of the times.
 #1432661  by railfan365

DutchRailnut wrote:were would they maintain them, as 92 day 365 day etc inspections don't stop ?? and since engine have to idle if temperatures drop near 45 degrees the cost may be way way more than just using host railroads power.
specially since engines in different regions need different cab signal/atc ptc etc
I was looking for feedback. Other factors have since occurred to me as well - such as engineers knowing the lines where they're driving. And there's issues of what type of power. In some areas, the power must be diesel due to tracks not being electrified. in others, it must be electric like going actoss Manhattan undeground. And electric could be limited to third rail in some places and overhead in others.