Railroad Forums 

• LIST Trip to Connecticut Fall 1990

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1434254  by jhdeasy

nyandw wrote:Can anyone provide some information on the LIST trip over the Hell Gate to CT in 1990? What date, itinerary, paperwork, photos, etc. Thanks!
Saturday, October 27, 1990. Referred to as "Connecticut Cannonball." I have photos of Sunrise Fleet parlor car 2001 and Power Pack 615 at the Waterbury CT station at my LIRR Parlor Cars website.

http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/jhd/lirr/r2001.html

I don't have the official excursion itinerary, but I suspect the train operated from Queens (maybe LIC Yard rather than Jamaica) to Waterbury and return via HAROLD, Hell Gate Bridge, and SHELL. I don't know if they also included any additional mileage to New Haven, Danbury or New Caanan on this trip. I doubt they made a sidetrip southwest of SHELL, such as a run down to Woodlawn Junction or Mott Haven and return back to SHELL, but all of that is possible.

Based on the sun and shadows, I'd say Steve Rothaug's photo taken from the Hell Gate Bridge was shot in the morning during the outbound trip from Queens to Connecticut.

I was not onboard that train, as I was operating a fall foliage trip from Union Bridge MD to Blue Ridge Summit PA and return on the Maryland Midland Railway using my second PV (PPCX 800272 ST. REGIS RIVER) that very same day. Alas, we can't be in two places at one time!