Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1435368  by electric heat

The 22 M3's are the ones at Arch St. The gons are most likely the ones at Lilco in Hicksville. The old "gray gons" there are in need of wheels, which is probably not going to happen. The high side '90s era ones, the RR never filed the proper paperwork to extend their interchange beyond 40 yrs, so they are not interchangeable and will most likely be cut up. The Locomotives are the 503, and probably the 3100.
 #1435377  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I will agree with EH that the 22 M3s being offered are the group stored at Arch Street Shop.

With the M9s under indefinite delivery delay the remaining 140 (or thereabouts) M3s will be
needed for the foreseeable future - the next 3-4 years into 2020-2021 probably...

The two M1s are likely the two former sandite units E401 and E591 - and hopefully not the
stored 9745-9746 pair...

There could be stored MP15s and SW1001s among the locomotives being offered along with
the 503 and 3100. A list of the locomotives being offered would be interesting to us all here...

MACTRAXX
 #1435388  by adamj023

If the rumors of FRA acceptance of prototypes are delayed, it shouldn't be that long for them to fix the issue. We've been down this road before with Alstom and Bombardier. Lets wait for an official statement. The issue I know about was the PTN modifications since it wasn't included in initial designs and spacing for equipment was off.
 #1439016  by ConstanceR46

I don't think the NYA 1001s are gonna be on the chopping block, they just got back and they keep a good value. My money is on the various MP15s that shat their pants, and the 1001 parts hunk, and the DE30 that both decided it was better being a toaster than a train.
 #1439107  by LINYARailfan

Which of the MP15S that may be scrapped? The 162, 169 and 170? Are there any other engines on the deadline at this time that may be on the way to being scrapped?
 #1439167  by ConstanceR46

There's the DE30 that wanted to cook some toast and (hopefully not but this is the mta we're talking about) the FA without it's cab that was used for the Bilevels. On a related note, there's a pair of gondolas looking much worse for wear in Arch Street and there's a cut or 2 down by the old LIPA facility near Hicksville so that probably makes up the Gon portion of the contract.
 #1439195  by freightguy

Will they need the 1001's for the East Side Access tunnels like the Atlantic Branch? I'm not sure the MP15's will fit in there as the diesel fleet will not.