Railroad Forums 

• Rebuild LIRR Bridge at Post Ave in Westbury

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1446673  by MattAmity90

Also for the most part, the trucks that struck the bridge were moving trucks (Penske, U-Haul, etc.)

The preferred route for commercial trucks would be going over the School Street grade crossing.

I can also name a few other bridges that need to be replaced or even have upgrades such as Denton Avenue, a few Garden City bridges, and Deer Park Avenue on the Ronkonkoma Branch.
 #1446700  by REM3Night

This was an equal opportunity bridge - all types of trucks have hit the bridge - many driven by "professionals". There are flashing lights and brightly colored warning signs but the drivers (8 to 10 per year) still seem to miss the warning.
This week's truck was a doughnut truck - which led to several jokes. The surviving doughnuts were donated to Long Island Cares and some will end up in a Westbury food pantry. Sadly when the bridge is replaced in 2 weeks - no more free doughnuts.
Ray
 #1447331  by adamj023

REM3Night wrote:This was an equal opportunity bridge - all types of trucks have hit the bridge - many driven by "professionals". There are flashing lights and brightly colored warning signs but the drivers (8 to 10 per year) still seem to miss the warning.
This week's truck was a doughnut truck - which led to several jokes. The surviving doughnuts were donated to Long Island Cares and some will end up in a Westbury food pantry. Sadly when the bridge is replaced in 2 weeks - no more free doughnuts.
Ray
The truckers who do not drive responsibly are the issue. They should be sued by the local and state governments who should get damage funds and a penalty back from the truckers who hit these bridges. Either from the company’s and employees themselves or from their insurance firms where they will be charged higher premiums or even lose coverage altogether,

The signage at this location was extremely clear. I am not against the new bridge because it adds clearance, and the third rail with new materials, but it should have been done earlier with funds that should have been received from the bridge strikes. After so many years, the replacement should have been already paid for plus more revenue to fix other parts of the system.
 #1447350  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The big weekend is almost here: The LIRR has posted information concerning the Post Avenue
bridge replacement project scheduled for Saturday and Sunday October 21-22:

The Main Line will be shut down for 48 hours between Mineola and Hicksville with a "bus bridge"
between these two stations for all Huntington/Port Jefferson Branch passengers.

Carle Place, Westbury and Bethpage get bus service; Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma will be served
by dual mode diesel trains operating via the Central Branch to Babylon. There will be special
timetables for all LIRR branch lines issued for October 21-22.

This work program looks to be somewhat similar to the previous Ellison Avenue bridge replacement
and hopefully the MTA posts a timelapse video of the actual work like what was done then.

http://web.MTA.info/supplemental/lirr/p ... lation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
 #1447360  by Head-end View

Adamj023, there has been very little actual damage to the bridge in these incidents. Not much monetary damages to be collected. But I agree the insurance carriers for the trucks that strike the bridge should be responsible and probably already are.
 #1447406  by REM3Night

It's almost time - the new bridge is ready for installation. The parking lot has been re-graded and covered with steel plates for the move. Footings are installed for pedestals to place the old bridge on when they remove it.
It is interesting that there are still people that don't know that this is happening. I spoke to a lady today and she said that there were flyers on the seats but she didn't read them.
I happened on a news conference during the Roslyn Road grade elimination and a reporter was giving the LIRR grief that there wasn't adequate notification. I said that there were full page ads in your paper - don't you read your own paper - he then shut up.
Ray
ps: We got our doughnuts at our food pantry today. Interesting that they came from Texas - you just defrost them for 3 hours and place them on the shelf. What ever happened to the fellow in the ad that said he had to get up (early) and make the doughnuts? I miss him - no wonder that the doughnuts at the doughnut store don't taste very good.
 #1447417  by BuddR32

REM3Night wrote: It is interesting that there are still people that don't know that this is happening. I spoke to a lady today and she said that there were flyers on the seats but she didn't read them.
I happened on a news conference during the Roslyn Road grade elimination and a reporter was giving the LIRR grief that there wasn't adequate notification. I said that there were full page ads in your paper - don't you read your own paper - he then shut up.
Like the people who are dumbfounded to know that the railroad or subways etc are shut down in larger snow storms.
 #1447739  by REM3Night

I went by this afternoon and they have assembled a monster to lift and remove the old bridge. It consists of 2 36 (or so) wheeled vehicles with a structure to support the bridge.
The new bridge has some sections of track and ballast on it.
The third rail has been removed on the bridge and it looks like the track has been cut and is held in by splice bars. Ready to go!
Ray
ps: truckers - there are only a few hours left to not read the warning signs and to crash into the bridge - lol
 #1447750  by railfaned

I hope someone can photograph the switch out of the bridge. I can't get up to LI until December so I'll miss the new bridge placement.
 #1447765  by MattAmity90

Usually down the road the MTA LIRR's YouTube page will post a time-lapse video of the work. They did the same with the Ellison Avenue bridge replacement, and the Roslyn Road grade crossing elimination when they installed the bridge. Also saw that the new bridge will have room for the third track, which is what they have been doing and now that the project received the green light now, good idea that they have done so with the last few replacements.
 #1447791  by Head-end View

I saw that one big crane there and I'm having a hard time believing one crane can lift that whole bridge. REM3Night said above that he saw two vehicles? I didn't see a second one, but it's hard to take in everything as you drive past, so maybe.
 #1447807  by REM3Night

There is a YouTube LIRR video about the bridge replacement plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHYHLBvEHMA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The plan to do another covering the whole replacement.
The vehicle that I mentioned consists of 2 vehicles joined together with a structure that will support the old bridge. I no longer have a photo account that I can use to post photos on this site. I will post one on the LIRR Fan Club Facebook page. - it's easier.
Ray
 #1447860  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

With the beginning of the bridge project now only hours away as of this post (1:30 pm) I took a
look at a Google Maps airview over the Westbury Station site and realized that the Post Avenue
Bridge is one of the only ways pedestrians can get under the LIRR there - the only other way is
the pedestrian underpass in the center of the station or walking to either Ellison Avenue west or
School Street east to cross the LIRR alongside vehicles that will have to detour there.

At Westbury the designated bus stop will be on Union Avenue adjacent to the ticket office - there
looks to be room for the work project without having to close the northward turn where Post and
Union Avenues intersect. On the south side will Railroad Avenue have to be closed where it ends
at Post Avenue or will it remain open? If it is closed one way pedestrians can walk is through the
cemetery entrance across the parking lot from the underpass to exit near St. Brigid's Church on
Post Avenue during daylight hours.

This will be a very interesting project to watch and more then likely there will be some spectators
that will be there - trouble is that there are only a small amount of area near the Westbury Station
that this can be viewable provided that it is not additionally closed for safety reasons - such as the
eastern end of the south side parking lot along Railroad Avenue.

I found the Ellison Avenue video posted by the MTA two years ago and searched at YouTube using
the term "Bridge Replacement Time Lapse" and found a wide variety of videos showing this type of
projects from around the World - with these examples:
Rail Bridge Replacement in 15 hours (Ireland)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j-1W5VZWHU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CTA Harrison Curve elevated structure replacement (Chicago) from 2003 (a personal favorite)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHdZMjBYhn4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The UK's Network Rail has posted a variety of timelapse videos showing rail projects of different
types that does include bridge replacement that can be found under this heading.

The LIRR Ellison Avenue video from October 2015: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR7hNaUK91I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The weather will be near perfect for this project - October warmth along with comfortable nights -
and hopefully it all goes through according to plan and without any unknown problems.

MACTRAXX