Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1404505  by onorclose7

Last nights switch problem was at Nassau 2, not far from the location of the derailment but a different switch nonetheless
 #1404802  by Kelly&Kelly

Watch for criminal charges on this one. There was intentional and unauthorized manipulation of safety appurtenances that resulted in this side swipe.
 #1404966  by Amtrak7

(At least) cars 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12 of the derailed train are back in revenue service. Obviously the first 4 cars won't see service for a while, and for some of them probably never again.

Does the LIRR have another one of these stabilizer cars, or is all work that requires it on hold?
 #1404990  by Kelly&Kelly

"Unauthorized" comes from the individual who would have authorized. The conduct was not intended to cause the unfortunate result. But it was performed without the proper authorization or procedures which would have prevented the resultant incident. Based on the outcome, it was reckless and negligent. Considering the injuries and losses, that would be grounds for a criminal complaint.
 #1405010  by Kelly&Kelly

Why wouldn't it be? Does it contain a "trigger word" that you find offensive? Lurking terrorists perhaps? Or maybe it's not politically correct? People reading these forums are interested in rail operations. The day to day management of human errors is indeed a part of any industry. It makes history and explains the unwritten responsibilities that railroaders carry every day. I hope this isn't too stressful. Yes, Virginia, people do make mistakes.
 #1405011  by scopelliti

First of all... calm down. I was just asking. When I see a post like
"Intentional manipulation of safety appurtenances" isn't a problem if you have documented C&S authorization and transportation permission. Sometimes intentional manipulation of safety appurtenances (i.e. the signal system) is the only way to facilitate track work and prevent unnecessary delays during the work.
and
Watch for criminal charges on this one. There was intentional and unauthorized manipulation of safety appurtenances that resulted in this side swipe.
it sounds less like speculation and more like inside knowledge that may not be for public disclosure.

That's all.. just commenting.
 #1405361  by Kelly&Kelly

There's enormous pressure to keep this away from the media. Hundreds of thousands have been spent on new MTA advertising since the incident. Therefore, don't expect Newsday or any other local rag to touch the story unless it comes from one of the wire services. The industry has also observed that the NTSB is now a very political organization, with information released only when it serves an agenda.
 #1405409  by Kelly&Kelly

Your question was answered in a previous post. If you want the names of the employees involved, you'll have to look elsewhere. If you are waiting for a press release, I hope you're a young man.
 #1405410  by Head-end View

K & K, it was you who told us in an earlier post to "watch for criminal charges on this one". So we're watching.........
 #1405540  by KT3

Is there an upvote / "like" button on this forum? Because if so, that last message would get my vote!
 #1405563  by puckhead

criminal charges, if warranted, arent going to come in a week or two after an accident like this one. there are lots of different interests involved, and all will have their say in what happens.
 #1405565  by onorclose7

It's amazing how impatient some people can be. They will do their best to keep it under wraps but I'm pretty sure that it will come out sooner or later.