Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1404287  by mjd13076

So now what happens to the damaged cars? Do they fix them like when a car gets into an accident or do they just declare them a loss no matter the damage?
 #1404290  by Head-end View

I visited the scene this morning. There is damage to the left-front corner of the lead car #7034, and yellow paint staining along the side of the second car #7033. The worst damage appeared to be at the left-front corner of the 3rd car #7044. Those 3 cars are derailed, the second and third the most seriously. The remaining cars appeared intact.
 #1404296  by dunee88

Yeh both railroads have had pretty stellar safety marks as of late. Valhalla was not Metro Norths fault so can't really count that one.

As far as this latest LIrR derailment, sounds like the track equipment worker may not have realized a swivel or boom was not in the straight position. I thought about maybe a crooked rail but they would've scrapped the third rail before even being able to affect the other track. Definitely not engineer fault. It also looks like what ever swivel or boom was far away enough to allow the front of the car to pass but then struck the end of the car.

Edit: plasser car. I stand corrected
Last edited by dunee88 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1404300  by pumpers

Kelly&Kelly wrote: ... The Plasser geometry car, which was moving on the out-of-service track side-swiped and struck the third car. This caused the derailment. ...
I don't get it. Is the Plasser car that much oversize that it can do that? I didn't think it was oversize at all. Was the Plasser car on a switch to the main and not clear far enough from the switch?
 #1404301  by GirlOnTheTrain

What I don't get is how the yellow paint is splattered on the side like the track car had a can of paint on it or something rather than paint transfer you'd expect in any sort of collision. (Unless that's actually the case.)
 #1404310  by SwingMan

I am wondering how long the Plasser car was fouling, because the engineer had it in plain sight coming out of the stop at New Hyde Park.

Having just visited the scene, there are two MP15s protecting the equipment on the west end. Four of the twelve cars were removed from the scene. They cut out some of the trees to set-up the re-railing process.
 #1404317  by DutchRailnut

the car involved is a PTS, which stands for Plasser Track Stabilizer , its a vibrator/shaker to pack down ballast after it has been disturbed.

#1404345  by Head-end View

Naugatroll, I agree with you about the paint splatter. It is puzzling.

And SwingMan, re: the visibility issue, remember this was at night in the rain and maybe whatever part of the equipment was fouling the adjacent track was not yellow like the car itself.

Dutch, does that vibrator/shaker extend out sideways from the work car? If so, that might explain what happened.
 #1404351  by Backshophoss

Is the PTS a"string" of tampers? with a power unit at 1 end and a control cab at the other end?
Seems that the machine next to PTS 62 has an extendable unit that could foul the other main line track.
A regular "production tamper" is compact next to that 2nd machine in Dutch's pic!
 #1404360  by DutchRailnut

Head-end View wrote:Naugatroll, I agree with you about the paint splatter. It is puzzling.

And SwingMan, re: the visibility issue, remember this was at night in the rain and maybe whatever part of the equipment was fouling the adjacent track was not yellow like the car itself.

Dutch, does that vibrator/shaker extend out sideways from the work car? If so, that might explain what happened.
No nothing sticks out from sides, the car was reported by fouling point

as for those yellow splashes I believe that was yellow glasswool insulation, not paint.
 #1404364  by DutchRailnut

Backshophoss wrote:Is the PTS a"string" of tampers? with a power unit at 1 end and a control cab at the other end?
Seems that the machine next to PTS 62 has an extendable unit that could foul the other main line track.
A regular "production tamper" is compact next to that 2nd machine in Dutch's pic!
it is not a tamper, it is stabilizer the second unit in my picture is not part of it.
compare my picture with station picture of side the cab did not get ripped off.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1404370  by mmi16

Do LI rules require 'permission' from a 'Flagman' with the MofW outfit to enter the limits the the MofW gang is working between? If so, what kind of permission did the Flagman give the train and what type of communication was in effect within the MofW gang so that the Flagman could give (or withhold) permission.

If MofW equipment fouls any track besides the one they occupy, there needs to be a 'protection scheme' for trains passing on adjacent tracks.
 #1404375  by Backshophoss

There's normally a "Flagman" with a track gang to make sure there's no on track equipment fouling the other main and give
warning of an approaching train to the track gang.

mm16,If you mean the "routine" of a track foreman giving a train permission to enter limits by radio and how to proceed
is not done on LIRR,there's a Builletin order issued with description of work limits,time it starts and ends and any speed restrictions issued.
and the standard warning to proceed with caution thru the work limits.
The foreman in charge of the work limits controls the out of service track and who/what enters/exits the limits.
 #1404397  by dunee88

Correct. And while the flag man holds up a sign, usually orange circle, letting the engineer know there is work up ahead, all employees must "stop and observe" as the train goes by for any defects etc. Also the train must sound horn at certain intervals while approaching and passing through work area. This is the case for MNR and should be for LIRR