Railroad Forums 

• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1470214  by adamj023

Didn’t realize they had some already at Hillside. This was the first mention of cars actually spotted other than MTA pics at Colorado. After this sightings should be seen on LIRR tracks in testing then the cars will enter service and more deliveries will occur.

2019 should be a better year for LIRR reliability and service.
 #1470240  by MACTRAXX

DutchRailnut wrote:cars 9001 / 9002 and 9003 / 9004 are in colorado at TTC

these cars are 9011 / 9012 and a second pair someone reported there is already 6 M-9's at hillside wich would confirm numbers.
Dutch and Everyone:

Interesting news about the LIRR M9 cars: Would that be 9005/9006, 9007/9008 and 9009/9010
now at Hillside with 9013/9014 the second pair being brought north from Maryland?
I noted the revised MTA color scheme being used on these two newest car pairs.

Could the new cars be delivered direct through NYP or car floated from Jersey City to Brooklyn?

It will be interesting to be able to see them during their testing phase - and formal introduction.

MACTRAXX
 #1470264  by DutchRailnut

The delivery of Japan build cars will all be via Baltimore and Selkirk, and cars eventually coming from Lincoln Nebr. will all come via Selkirk anyway , so no on car float.
don't forget the move is made by Kawasaki not LIRR as they do not own the cars till after acceptance testing.

All cars are being delivered with new paint scheme , even cars pictured initially with yellow front .
 #1470272  by DogBert

Backshophoss wrote:Via Selkirk or via NYNJ Ry carfloat to Bay Ridge then Fremont/Fresh Pond by NY&A?

Sounds like CSX. NYNJRR might still be allergic to handling anything close to a locomotive due to the flat wheel optimus prime fiasco a few years back.
 #1470309  by andrewjw

DogBert wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Via Selkirk or via NYNJ Ry carfloat to Bay Ridge then Fremont/Fresh Pond by NY&A?

Sounds like CSX. NYNJRR might still be allergic to handling anything close to a locomotive due to the flat wheel optimus prime fiasco a few years back.
I'm sorry, the what?
 #1470325  by frankie

Here they come!!!!! LIRR Kawasaki M-9s on CSX Q410-22, Rice Yard Waycross GA to Selkirk Yard Albany. Photo credit: Anthony Carpentieri

Click for enlargement.
 #1470349  by DutchRailnut

All MTA equipment will get same livery (new York colors) no more separate paint schemes within MTA anymore. only exception is M-8's
 #1470350  by Head-end View

Well hell! I thought that yellow front enhanced safety too; made the train more visible.

M-9 Trivia question: Why are the lower headlights and the marker lights reversed compared to the M-7's. M-7 had the headlights inside the markers. M-9's have the headlights outside the markers. :wink:
 #1470358  by DutchRailnut

cause someone thought it was better, or Kawasaki wanted not to be like Bombardier, ??
 #1470365  by NH2060

Head-end View wrote:Are the M-9's not going to have the yellow front after all? That would be regrettable; I thought they looked pretty sharp painted that way. :(
Same! I actually quite like the blue and yellow slant at the front on each side though it's not really diagonal enough. But I agree the cab would have looked much better with the yellow. Or at least a blue/yellow combo.
DutchRailnut wrote:All MTA equipment will get same livery (new York colors) no more separate paint schemes within MTA anymore. only exception is M-8's
Wow. Metro-North without the red on the locomotives will never be the same. The times they are a changin'..