Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1486569  by Train2009

Teutobergerwald wrote:Saw the 157 westbound, cab-forward, through Northport with a single double-decker car, yesterday afternoon around 2:25pm. Don't know if it was just a coach, or a control cab car. The 157 looks like a blue & white heritage engine, at this point.
That Loco was seen today in Jamaica on the protect job, meanwhile #154 was hanging out by the Fuel station at Morris Park this morning.
 #1487173  by Train2009

#160 and #152 went by New Hyde Park late this morning at 11:57 AM on a light move westbound.
#154 was seen coupled to a other MP15 (Unit # unknown) on the fuel station at Morris Park, #161 was also sitting in the yard this morning.
#153 was the Jamaica protect, but before 4 PM this afternoon it was not there.
 #1487478  by newkirk

Forgive me for going a bit of topic.

Just nostalgic for the days when the MP-15's had a decent paint job for photography.
 #1487486  by MACTRAXX

BM: A historical photo of #150 at Mill Neck back in September 1982 is not off the MP15 topic.
What caught my eye is the single 9'5" warning sign for the low bridge. Today there will be multiple
markings on the bridge itself along with the required signs to warn tall vehicles about the height
restrictions on this road...MACTRAXX
 #1487524  by newkirk

MACTRAXX wrote: A historical photo of #150 at Mill Neck back in September 1982 is not off the MP15 topic.
What caught my eye is the single 9'5" warning sign for the low bridge. Today there will be multiple
markings on the bridge itself along with the required signs to warn tall vehicles about the height
restrictions on this road...MACTRAXX
I understand there will be a low clearance bridge near Locust valley to be replaced very soon. Since the Mill neck bridge is low clearance, is that up for replacement too ?

But getting back to that photo, it was a pleasure to photograph the MP-15's in their original MTA livery. I saw a blue/yellow repainted MP-15 on Sunday where the blue paint is starting to wash off ! I know the LIRR doesn't have an OSHA approved paint booth, but can the LIRR at least use oil base paint ?
 #1488344  by trainspot

After a little detective work, I saw 170 in another photo I took, so 162 seems to be the answer. Let me know if I'm wrong please, thanks!
 #1488353  by Bad Luck

The three dead E15s in Morris Park are the same three from Hicksville/LIPA and Port Jefferson. They'll eventually make it to Wheelspur on their way out. The one in your photo is the 169, with 162 and 170 out of view behind.
 #1488355  by trainspot

Bad Luck wrote:The three dead E15s in Morris Park are the same three from Hicksville/LIPA and Port Jefferson. They'll eventually make it to Wheelspur on their way out. The one in your photo is the 169, with 162 and 170 out of view behind.
Thanks Bad Luck! It was a 50/50 chance I’d guess right. Found photos to make me guess 162 was the end unit.
 #1488360  by grobtech

As per the RFP for new Low Emission Diesel Locomotives, all of the MP15ACs and SW1001s - working and nonworking are being traded in as credit towards the purchase of 20 new work engines.
 #1488364  by newkirk

I don't know if this was reported or not.

But the three MP-15's are gone from the Hicksville Lilco siding.
 #1488367  by LINYARailfan

Will all of the E15s and SW1001s in the RFP be traded in at the same time or will it be done over a two to three year period of time?
 #1488396  by Bad Luck

ConstanceR46 wrote:Will the E15s, tho? I'm pretty sure they're tradein fodder and not going to FICX.
I never said that Frontier purchased the units, I said they were going to Wheelspur. They would be refused at interchange if they were to move on their own trucks in their present condition.

No problem, Tim. The 169 still retains its small nose M decal from 1984.