Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1287253  by jetset

Does anyone know what happened to LIRR42? I wanted to reference his website (thelirrtoday.com) for something but it's no longer active and neither is his twitter account. Did he officially sign off and I missed it? It's ashame to see this wealth of current LIRR knowledge leave us.
 #1287277  by EM2000

Maybe he finally realized he's not an employee in operations and finally gave up posting bad info?
 #1287318  by Tadman

He might be on a site-sponsored vacation. I can't recall but I know a few members are.
 #1287401  by jackintosh11

Has anyone heard from him? I understand if he wanted to stop blogging, but why did he have to take all his content down and remove it from the internet archive? I'm guessing that there's legal stuff involved. What's a site-sponsored vacation? It seems like he just dropped off the face of the earth on July 17th (date of last post)
 #1287405  by Slippy

The Doc's (LIRR42) last recent posts was in the contract negotiation discussion and in my eyes didn't warrant a "site sponsored vacation," or a banning. After awhile his true colors came out and some things said even warranted LI Tool to come out of retirement. Most likely took a hiatus after the fact that people who actually work for the LIRR and in the industry took exception to some of his extreme view points. His blog was in-depth and informative but may have caught some heat for integrity of his information.
 #1287413  by MattW

jackintosh11 wrote:Has anyone heard from him? I understand if he wanted to stop blogging, but why did he have to take all his content down and remove it from the internet archive? I'm guessing that there's legal stuff involved. What's a site-sponsored vacation? It seems like he just dropped off the face of the earth on July 17th (date of last post)
A "site-sponsored vacation" is a polite way of saying "banned" or "suspended" but we don't know if that's the case. But yea, even with some of his views, he had some really good stuff. I was talking to a friend that loved his site too and we were both afraid it might be his partial use of a certain map...
 #1287415  by jetset

Sad to hear he might really be gone and I certainly hope it's not because someone here scared him off. We all have different viewpoints especially daily commuter vs. employee vs. retired employee. The fact of the matter is he provided a wealth of information to those who really wanted to know more about how the railroad operated in today's world unlike anyone had before. It's a shame to see that kind of data gone.
 #1287450  by Backshophoss

Both the "LIRR Today" and the NY+A Blogs are gone,both show a "Google" sign-in screen. :(
 #1287454  by nyandw

I hope not to add "Fuel to the Fire" here on this topic, but here goes:
Firstly, the usual disclaimers: I have no relationship, personal, business, or family with LIRR42. Having stated that, I'll respond as follows:

EM2000 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:13 am Maybe he finally realized he's not an employee in operations and finally gave up posting bad info?

Specific examples would be illustrative as to point out his non-employee views/opinions as to bad information.

Tadman » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:57 am He might be on a site-sponsored vacation. I can't recall but I know a few members are. What is a site-sponsored vacation?

Slippy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:02 pm
The Doc's (LIRR42) last recent posts was in the contract negotiation discussion and in my eyes didn't warrant a "site sponsored vacation," or a banning. After awhile his true colors came out and some things said even warranted LI Tool to come out of retirement. Most likely took a hiatus after the fact that people who actually work for the LIRR and in the industry took exception to some of his extreme view points. His blog was in-depth and informative but may have caught some heat for integrity of his information.

Slippy: I only tagged red what made sense to me as a civilian. The rest "seems" to be LIRR employee "internal" info. Not a condemnation, just an observation.

MattW » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:52 pm A "site-sponsored vacation" is a polite way of saying "banned" or "suspended" but we don't know if that's the case. But yea, even with some of his views, he had some really good stuff. I was talking to a friend that loved his site too and we were both afraid it might be his partial use of a certain map...

Matt: 1. Was he an employee of the LIRR, or ex-employee under non-disclosure? 2. Was the map stolen, what usage..."partial use"... etc. This is hearsay and unsubstantiated and it just adds to this thread of conjucture...
OR the usual internet posted nonsense, that everyone whats to phony copyright? The previous in red my opinion only. :-)

Tadman offered the idea of a "site-sponsored vacation", not verified as fact. (This is no reflection on Tadman, just an example of how posts/thread/blogs get mislaid)

Yes Matt, I sure have to agree. Super nice current material posted (that will become historical) and a dedication to keep it current. If it's a blog/website/editorial/book/etc. it's the author/owner that posts it.

I'm always interested in the "attack dogs" that do not bring any data/photos/info/sources to the party, but have an emotional response about the author/poster.

I haven't stated an opinion on LIRR42's situation, as I do not know the facts from him and the other side(s) of this issue.
 #1287460  by THIRD AVENUE EL

For those who were on The LIRR Today's mailing list, he sent out a message today saying his site is in "hibernation" due to health issues he's been having. He did say that he made the choice out of his own volition, and without the influence of any third-party (i.e. "scared off"), because he did not have neither the strength nor the resources to keep up with what appears to be just a hobby for him.

In regard to his involvement on these particular forums, if you take a look at his very last post, nearly two-and-a-half months ago at this point, he said that "this is becoming a community less and less worth participating in," and in a way, I understand what he's saying. As a longtime lurker and only a recent, and occasional, poster, discussion on this forum has dwindled in both quantity and quality over the last year or so, and this is an awfully pro-labor forum (I know this limits my personal involvement with these discussions...). Between that and the super-"foamers" who seem to linger here, one wonders how anybody can stomach Railroad.net for more than a little while.
 #1287471  by MattW

Thank you for the update. I wish him a speedy recovery!

I'm sorry for adding fuel to the fire of speculation, I've been down this road before and should know better :(
 #1287479  by Slippy

Steve, perhaps you may need me to spell it out for you since you couldn't comprehend my last post.

Anyone who comes onto Railroad.net and starts berating any railroad craft, in this case labor agreements and you are astounded as to the reason why you are getting flak from the employees take your head out of the sand. Save it for your private blogs or Newsday comment section. This is not specific to the LIRR sub-forum and could have happened on any sub forum. That is the biggest offender that will discourage most if not all employees from participating in discussion. That's like me being a firefighter "buff," going into Ladder #12's house and telling all the guys that I resent the fact they don't work a 5 day work week and I get my ass kicked for it.

Dr. O'Hara or LIRR42 was not a troll, often well spoken and some of his content took extra effort and time to compose that he had on his blog (like some of his spread sheets.) I was fair in my last post and if anyone has the strength to scroll down a little bit, click on the contract negotiation thread and read some of the last pages can concur with my brief comments about the whole issue. Towards the end, his extreme view points came to light and his neutral stance went to the wayside. LIRR42 should not be surprised of the outcome.
Last edited by Slippy on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1287480  by EM2000

Well said Slippy. I have to reiterate the fact that LIRR42, while took great effort, spoke of things he did not know anything about, and unfortunately fellow Buff's took it as gospel.