An argument against "parking lot" stations...

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: JamesT4, metraRI

dinwitty

Re: An argument against "parking lot" stations...

Post by dinwitty » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:14 pm

oh, bring back the streetcar and reach out to all those car drivers. Then you can dump all them parking lots and put business/apartments above whatever.

Wrigley field contantly brings in 40,000+ every game and not everyone can get there via automobile, you have to take the CTA and it works, well, you are probably driving to a distant CTA station and riding in or whatever railroad/driving combinations work.

eolesen

Post by eolesen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:47 pm

We don't need streetcars. Buses were the logical extension of that, and there are already PACE and even CTA buses that drop off at Metra stations today for last-mile transport.

The problem is population density: buses and streetcars only work where there's an audience to be carried... That's not going to exist in >80% of the suburbs or exurbs.

justalurker66

Post by justalurker66 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Bus service needs to overcome the stigma. Trains don't have as much of a stigma (although sometimes they are not much better for comfort). People would rather drive to a station than ride a bus.

erie910

Post by erie910 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Bus service needs to overcome the issues of traffic. As long as there is traffic congestion, bus service is a problem.

The idea of constructing housing in place of parking areas has another issue: Desirability. Will there be rental property or ownership? Will there be a sufficient diversity of design to attract residents? Will rents or sale prices be competitive? As has been pointed out, don't take away existing parking, as that will discourage current rail commuters from continuing to commute by rail.

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:32 pm

I think Chicago is pretty good about not having "parking lot stations", at least compared to other big cities. Most older suburbs grew up around the station and have pretty dense housing nearby. My sister walks 6 blocks to the BNSF every day like it's no big deal.
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

njt/mnrrbuff

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:00 pm

There is nothing wrong with having "parking lot" stations but if possible, we want them as close to downtown as much as possible. Metra seems good about that. I know that the majority of stations along the BNSF Line are in the downtown areas; if not, then they are within walking distance. The same goes for the UP-West Line.

Here in the NYC area where I live, many of the commuter rail stations are in business districts.

R36 Combine Coach

Post by R36 Combine Coach » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:10 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:00 pm
There is nothing wrong with having "parking lot" stations but if possible, we want them as close to downtown as much as possible. Metra seems good about that. I know that the majority of stations along the BNSF Line are in the downtown areas; if not, then they are within walking distance.
Route 128-Westwood (1953) and Jersey Avenue (1963) proved that a park-ride can be very successful even outside a downtown commercial area. Today many new stations are such.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.

Arborwayfan

Post by Arborwayfan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:42 pm

I think the that apartments or condos next to stations would fill. Just because some people want big houses and yards doesn't mean everyone does, or that everyone wants or can buy one their whole life. From the towns' perspective, such development would be ideal, because it would bring in property tax with relatively small number of children to educate, small length of streets to care for, etc.

I rode Frontrunner a few times between Ogden and Salt Lake City this summer, and noticed sets of apartment buildings next to a couple of the stations. (The others are mostly in commercial areas.) They seemd to have people living in them.

I never heard anyone say parking garages caused crime before. That's interesting. I always thought of garages as slightly classier than parking lots (maybe because they tend to charge more than lots when they are at airports). Most of the spots are covered; if they are under a housing complex, they can be locked and restricted to residents.

Return to “Chicagoland Commuter & Transit”