Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1381057  by mkerfe

I know Metra Police handle the lines where metra crews run (Milw, RI etc). Who handles the police duties on the BNSF AND UP lines? Is it Metra or the operating railroad.
 #1381570  by Tadman

I'm pretty sure UP Police handle Ogilvie and the three railroad lines associated with it. I know C&NW police did so.
 #1383032  by justalurker66

wilmette2008 wrote:Speaking of Metra Police I came across this http://patch.com/illinois/oakpark/metra ... operations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; how will the affect the 877-fix-gate number?
It could still be answered by the 911 center. I have not had the pleasure of calling Cook County, but I have called county administrative non-911 numbers and still reached a 911 operator. The toll free number could be redirected to a local number that would still get immediate, if not urgent, call handling.
 #1389429  by Engineer Spike

BNSF uses their own force. When I was there, one engineer's father was the local commander, and his sister was also a cop. She used to deadhead in to work on my train.
 #1465337  by wilmette2008

Spoke with a Metra Cop tonight and she said the Metra now handles the policing of ogilvie and the outlaying stations on the three UP lines. It makes me think that UP dropped there agents out of Olgilive, why would UP do that? If it is there track, there crews, and there right of way? Thanks
 #1465414  by Backshophoss

UP may have pulled their PD out of the commuter region,for whatever internal reasoning.
AS it was anything that happened in that region was considered covered by UP's PD and METRA's PD at the same time.
Now Whatever happens is METRA's PD to handle.
 #1465471  by wilmette2008

Here's an interesting story, I was rail fanning at the Wilmette metra station once and saw a UP Trainmaster's SUV parked in parking lot. Some kids were picking up ballast rocks and throwing them around, I taped on the window of the SUV and told him what was going on he siad, "ok i'll handle it." He then picked up a sheet of paper that had Wilmette PD's number written on it and he called them. Wonder why he called Wilmette instead of UPPD and/or Metra PD?
 #1465493  by qboy

Because your gonna get a much quicker response from local Pd compared to RR police. With only a handful of Special Agents trying to cover so much territory. Throwing ballast isn't always gonna top priority. Usually when we need the police 95% of the time it's local police for issue on the train or crossing incidents.
 #1467591  by wilmette2008

Engineer Spike wrote:Should have let the little bastards pelt the weed weasel’s car. It would serve him right.
He was on his cellphone and was parked in a handicapped spot should I have had Wilmette PD ticket his car? He didn't even notice the kids throwing rocks until I brought it to his attention. Who could he have been on the phone with, his wife/girlfriend/significant other or his boss? Finally he acted kind of like an idiot when the cops showed up, wonder why?
 #1471735  by wilmette2008

So tonight while taking the train on my way to visit my parents I saw two Metra Police Officers ridding. It appears that Monterrey security which used handle this duty was fired at the beginning of the year. Now several weeks ago at the Main Street station in Evanston I saw a UP cop, one of the storage bins was spray painted and the lock was broken open. He check it out and re locked it, he drove an unmarked pick up and was in plain clothes with a black vest with the words, "POLICE" in big white letters on the back. My question is in the Chicago area do most RR Police drive unmarked cars and ware plain clothes? Thanks.
 #1472164  by John_Perkowski

Law enforcement officers pull together. I'd be not at all surprised that the Metra PD dispatch center boss has beer and pizza with the guys from BNSF and UP police departments. I know for a fact the Director of Emergency Services for Chicago has all these people on speed dial.
 #1472202  by MetraBNSF

I’ve seen Metra police onsite on the BN when a suburban is involved in an incident. Along with local municipalities and railroad police. UP might be similar.
 #1473650  by wilmette2008

My question is if UP turned Policing of the trains and stations on the three UP lines over to Metra, why did UP send a agent out to investigate? This was after Evanston PD had checked it out and confirmed that the lock was broken open and spray painted. Thoughts