Will the big boy ever come east?

Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

airman00

Will the big boy ever come east?

Post by airman00 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:10 pm

I am pretty sure not long ago the UP business train made it’s way across the country and was on the CSX River Line. Might the #4014 ever travel across the country and traverse the csx river line also? I am not far from the river line and would love to see the big boy in person.

bostontrainguy

Re: Will the big boy ever come east?

Post by bostontrainguy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:05 pm

I think it should come to Steamtown.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:44 pm

Don't think the Big Boy will leave UP rails or UP trackage rights rails, due to it's weight and lengh.
it could turn rails sideways on CSX,go on the ground on PAR trackage,would drive the Amtrak track dept crazy on the NEC!
Not sure if NS would allow it on their trackage.
The Big Boy should stay in the west.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

eolesen

Post by eolesen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 am

Unlikely. There are a lot of support logistics required when the steam team hits the road, i.e. water and fuel not to mention trackside security and crowd control...

The trip thru the midwest did see 4014 traveling on the BNSF between MSP and DLH, but UP has trackage rights on that line, and UP had facilities and resources to tap into at either end. That wouldn't be the case trying to run east.

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:13 pm

I could be wrong but given the size of it and current appetite for trips like that - it's a once-in-a-lifetime affair if it does. I don't plan on ever seeing 4449 east of the Miss again in my life, that Owosso trip was ten years ago and a big deal.

Let's put it this way, you have a better chance of seeing 1218 up and running again.
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

Return to “Union Pacific”