Railroad Forums 

• NYSW SD70M Official Thread (Please Read)

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#391863  by amoreho1

Moderators note: This Sticky has been created, to combine the multiple SD-70 threads, into a single topic, for asking questions, making comments and posting pictures, about the SD-70's. Any and/or all comments related to SD-70's should be posted here. This should end the frustration of searching for that SD-70 info you needed. Regards :wink:

(Original question asked by amoreho1):

how long are the sd70's on lease for ?
Last edited by charlie6017 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 5 times in total. Reason: explaining the merged threads

#391886  by midland sub

Should be for three more years when the orginal trust expires. The NYSW does not want any of the three back. When I caught 4050/4054 together last week, 4054 looked to have more oil on it than in it.
 #417333  by bruce a.

Can any tell about the NYSW SD-70's Thanks Bruce
 #418213  by rcbsd45

I spent the week of June 25th on vacation, traveling out and around Ohio with the camera, visiting friends and railfanning. I was able to stumble on the the NYS&W SD70M # 4050 in ther town of Ottawa, on the Indiana and Ohio Railroad, where they've been for the past few years. Images are below, and as you can tell by the faded paint, missing letters, and dented fuel tank, the locomotive could use some TLC(on home rails, of course......).....

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... ?id=800533

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... ?id=800534

and heres what she was behind.... an SP(but I&O owned)SD45T-2:

http://rcbsd45.rrpicturearchives.net/sh ... ?id=800532

These were the only images of ANY of the SD70M's i got, and i actually stumbled on the train while searching for dinner with my traveling partner.... but at least we know she's still up and running....

#418217  by charlie6017

Nice catch, boss! That yellow is really starting to fade on the 4050........ :(

#418247  by lvrr325

I read in Snailpace a while back the other two were down in need ot repairs, one with a bad traction motor I believe. They've all had the living crap beat out of them since day 1, I am sure.

#418336  by GOLDEN-ARM

The Tunnel-Motor looks awesome. I loved running them, much more than the SD-70's. The 70's are being run into the ground. Funny how that SP unit looks so fresh, and the relatively new "Q" unit looks like she's ready for LTEs' backlot......... :P

#418438  by washingtonsecondary

Originally it was a 3 year lease, but it was extended, probably another 3 years. NYS&W doesn't want them back so I don't think you'll see them on an SU99 anytime in the distant future.

#418517  by Luther Brefo

washingtonsecondary wrote:Originally it was a 3 year lease, but it was extended, probably another 3 years. NYS&W doesn't want them back so I don't think you'll see them on an SU99 anytime in the distant future.
Thanks for the info.

Are the SD70's really in that bad a shape that even the NYSW doesn't want them?

Is there no warranty on them?

#418531  by RichM

This is strictly a business decision... the lease revenue exceeds their monthly cost... and equivalent horsepower has been purchased at a far lower capital cost. Granted that the locomotives obtained are older... but the principla commodities moved aren't significantly time-sensitive, there's no need for new power.

This thread or something like it keeps popping up. Reality is that the railroad is a business. As Otto said in a previous thread, if you don't like what the railroad does, demand your money back.

#418560  by midland sub

The lease was extended until the orginal trust expires in 2011. So a little less than 4 more years on the I&O. Sort of strange to think they've been leased to the I&O longer than the Suskie actually used them.

Out of the three 4050 seems to be in the best mechanical condition, i.e. it breaks down the least. 4054 still has the best NYSW paint job, but seems to be OSS quite a bit. The I&O is a strange operation in some aspects, though that's to be discussed at other forums. 4050 and 4052 seem to run together the most. I'm still waiting to catch all three together on the I&O.
Luther Brefo wrote:What is the length on this lease? When will it end?

#419196  by Wanderer

According to the guys on the I&O lists...

4050 is alive and well, just returned to IORY Tuesday at Cincy off a CSX G51730. Should be on IORY 400.
4052 is DOA with a traction motor issue.
4054 is alive and well, just returned to IORY at Cincy from Atlanta off CSX Q23601. Should be laying over up in Norwood.