Railroad Forums 

• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1428490  by ricky

milkman wrote:
ricky wrote:I just wonder after all that rain we had if their reports of damage or washouts on this line. south of sheburne to Chenango forks?
I haven't heard of any damage done from the flooding and I heard on the radio today that all that is left to do to put the line back in service is to reactivate the signals.
did they said went they are going reactivate the signals
?
 #1428873  by milkman

ricky wrote:
milkman wrote:
ricky wrote:I just wonder after all that rain we had if their reports of damage or washouts on this line. south of sheburne to Chenango forks?
I haven't heard of any damage done from the flooding and I heard on the radio today that all that is left to do to put the line back in service is to reactivate the signals.
did they said went they are going reactivate the signals
?
No, they didn't say when, but I assume sometime this spring.
 #1430247  by ricky

I read on Facebook on NYSw 3040 is out of service for repair. They are now using CSX 2782 maybe northern southern engine to help out.I just wondering is nysw is short on engines.
 #1430346  by milkman

Does anyone know if a train went through Norwich today?
My daughter, several of her classmates and teacher said they heard what they thought was a train blowing it's horn several times while they were in school today.
 #1430376  by ricky

milkman wrote:Does anyone know if a train went through Norwich today?
My daughter, several of her classmates and teacher said they heard what they thought was a train blowing it's horn several tmes while they were in school today.
a northern folk southern engine 5294 went threw Norwich today
 #1430390  by milkman

ricky wrote:
milkman wrote:Does anyone know if a train went through Norwich today?
My daughter, several of her classmates and teacher said they heard what they thought was a train blowing it's horn several tmes while they were in school today.
a northern folk southern engine 5294 went threw Norwich today
Thanks, my daughter was pretty sure what she heard was a engine blowing it's horn.
 #1430394  by ut-1

Here are a few pics of the May 5th light engine move:

1. Earlville.

2. Sangerfield, Rt 20 overpass.

3. Tying up for the night, Sangerfield.
Attachments:
IMG_0992 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_0992 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg (212.75 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
IMG_1025 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_1025 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg (221.61 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
IMG_1038 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg
IMG_1038 (2)_Resized_900_by_674.jpg (265.89 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
 #1430395  by ut-1

Another view, northbound, Earlville:
Attachments:
IMG_0996 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg
IMG_0996 (2)_Resized_900_by_675.jpg (216.15 KiB) Viewed 5266 times
 #1430441  by keiffer

NYSW has leased several CSX and Norfolk Southern locos for almost a decade now...

The regular power in Utica is Out Of Service for repairs. NYSW simply sent one of the leased locos used in Binghamton/NJ areas and sent it to Utica to help with the seasonal rush.
 #1434360  by JoeCollege

A yellow jacket and 3-4 gons loaded with ties crept and crawled their way up the Utica line yesterday. Lite engine out of Binghamton picked up the gons at Forks and proceeded North to Sangergfield.
 #1434471  by milkman

JoeCollege wrote:A yellow jacket and 3-4 gons loaded with ties crept and crawled their way up the Utica line yesterday. Lite engine out of Binghamton picked up the gons at Forks and proceeded North to Sangergfield.
We missed that one.
The Utica line runs right through our back yard but I have yet to see a train.
Does anyone know if they will eventually run trains on a regular basis like they did before the 2006 flood?
 #1436701  by ut-1

Looks ok along several points I checked today (Paris at Green's Crossing Rd, along Rt 8 in Cassville where new fill placed a few years back, Elm St in Chadwicks by old DL&W station) but that's only what I could see from the road, however.

Here's a video I took showing flooding in South Utica; the NYS&W has a bridge over the Sauquoit approx 1/2 mile south of the bridge shown in the video. There's also an ex-NYO&W bridge about the same distance to the north, used to reach a customer in New Hartford. I'm sure those bridges will be closely inspected before a train is allowed to cross them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf-J24l0_bI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;