Railroad Forums 

• Mishap at Union Station, Utica, NY

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1340551  by sd80mac

If it wasn't for the bumper, it would had been much worse.

I guess that hopper flew into 6710 after hitting bumper. Yet, it still have enough force to push loco 20-30 some feet into building
 #1340582  by Flat-Wheeler

The damage caused wouldn't happen with an empty car. This car had some significant potential energy built up at the point of collision, which was not from just rolling downhill at speed. Same reason using a heavier ball at the bowling alley creates more chaos with the pins.

It's lucky there were no significant injuries or fatalities from this, but a shame the old NYC 0-6-0 took the brunt of the incident. I hope they can repair it. If not, well then the vandals of today never really deserved one of the few remaining pieces of NY RR history we left for their generation.
 #1340616  by ut-1

Editorial in today's Utica Observer Dispatch:

"If it is determined that a youth playing atop a 265,000-pound rail car was somehow able to send it careening through the city during rush hour, then officials need to take immediate steps to tighten safety procedures to make sure something like this can never happen again."

Read the entire editorial here:

http://www.uticaod.com/article/20150724 ... 3/?Start=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1340630  by BandA

Flat-Wheeler wrote:The damage caused wouldn't happen with an empty car. This car had some significant potential energy built up at the point of collision, which was not from just rolling downhill at speed. Same reason using a heavier ball at the bowling alley creates more chaos with the pins.

It's lucky there were no significant injuries or fatalities from this, but a shame the old NYC 0-6-0 took the brunt of the incident. I hope they can repair it. If not, well then the vandals of today never really deserved one of the few remaining pieces of NY RR history we left for their generation.
The railroad insurance should be required to fund a full restoration to running condition for that engine :wink:
 #1340639  by litz

I wonder how many of these types of things are going to happen before we have to start locking brake release handles with switch locks ....

(and yes, I know that would require modifications ....)
 #1340646  by sd80mac

ut-1 wrote:Editorial in today's Utica Observer Dispatch:

"If it is determined that a youth playing atop a 265,000-pound rail car was somehow able to send it careening through the city during rush hour, then officials need to take immediate steps to tighten safety procedures to make sure something like this can never happen again."

Read the entire editorial here:

http://www.uticaod.com/article/20150724 ... 3/?Start=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most likely that the youth had turned the brake wheel..
 #1340647  by sd80mac

litz wrote:I wonder how many of these types of things are going to happen before we have to start locking brake release handles with switch locks ....

(and yes, I know that would require modifications ....)

I believe that all sidings that are used for setting out the cars purpose, not for trains bypassing each other, should be bowled like the yards with some kind of calculated % of climb toward to switch that cars cannot power by itself to get up and through switch. The "bottom out" bowl should be set at middle of siding. And all cars should be set out at that bottom out portion of siding.
 #1340666  by Flat-Wheeler

Nobody's ever going to be able to remove gravity, silly bloggers. And Railroad's are never going to pay the expense to regrade/ re-level industrial sidings and the infinite places to spot RR equipment. That'd be insane. They'd go bankrupt paying the expenses for doing even just half the sidings. Instead, they'd use strategically placed derails, in a multitude of places. This would offer them the flexibility to park cars anywhere they needed between derails, instead of requiring they place cars only "Here" and only "There."

But at say.... $2,500 apiece or so, that also costs alot of money. In addition to the fact now you have a bunch of damaged equipment, or at least a cleanup expense, each and everytime after a derail does it's job.
 #1340800  by ut-1

Here are a few pics from tonight:
Attachments:
Evening July 25 Runaway 008.JPG
Evening July 25 Runaway 008.JPG (174.1 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
Evening July 25 Runaway 018.JPG
Evening July 25 Runaway 018.JPG (315.62 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
Evening July 25 Runaway 014.JPG
Evening July 25 Runaway 014.JPG (201.69 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
 #1340806  by BR&P

Of special interest to Rochester area readers here, I have a timebook given to me by a friend who hired out in 1943. The 6721 was on the third trick Car Shop job, CS-3, May 17, 1948, and on the midnight West Base, WB-3 on October 25, 1948.

It no doubt worked many other jobs here around that time, but would not show up on his book unless he happened to have that engine on whatever job he happened to be working.