Railroad Forums 

• NY Susquehanna on the West Shore (Utica, NY)

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1296853  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Hi, I was wondering how often the Susquehanna uses the former West Shore section of track that crosses French Rd. in New Hartford/Utica at W.S. MP233? I've heard that it's on an as needed basis, but not sure how often that is. Could someone give me a heads up when the Susquehanna makes these runs. I'm a huge West Shore fan, and would really like to see an actual train on West Shore right-of-way, and do some railfanning. Thanks, NYC81
 #1298859  by lvrr325

As needed means when someone needs to be switched, they go do it, or add it to the day's tasks. So it could be once a week, once a month, or 7 days in one week; it depends on what the customers on the line need.
 #1299088  by lackman

Not an expert on this, but here is what I think I know.

The other threads mention a new warehouse that opened up in the old paper plant over by the New Hartford shopping center. The thread mentions that they are receiving a good number of cars. This is new business for NYSW since the paper plant was shut down for some time.

To get there, NYSW would actually travel part of the old west shore AND part of the old NYOW. If you could find out the phone number of the warehouse, maybe they can tell you when they get traffic.

Best regards,
Lackman
 #1299329  by lackman

Suggest you review the Utica Branch discussion thread. Lots of good info about the Utica-Binghamton branch. Having lived in Utica for 20 years, its my life line to knowing what is going on back home.

That thread says the name of the warehouse is "Oneida Warehouse." Traffic seems to be active. There was some signs out on the N-S arterial (790?) where NYSW crosses to warn motorists that the crossing is now active.

Prior to the new warehouse, this branch was basically dead once the paper plant shut down. Now it apparently lives with some traffic.

If you get some pictures, please share. I used to park in the New Hartford shopping center parking lot and watch the NYSW drill cars at the paper plant. That was a long time ago. Good to see traffic out here again.

Lackman
 #1302438  by Railhead

There was some signs out on the N-S arterial (790?) where NYSW crosses to warn motorists that the crossing is now active.
Heading North on Route 8 from Washington Mills
Route 8 bears right to connect with the arterial
to head north, this is just after you cross over Genesee Street
if you continue straight the road becomes 840
which crosses the railroad tracks
there were signs on 840 to warn motorist of increased train traffic
when the warehouse first opened
they are not there now
 #1302657  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Jackpot! I caught it on video. NY Susquehanna & Western 3040 on the original West Shore ROW. Here is a still from the video I shot. There were four boxcars by the way.

Enjoy!
Attachments:
West Shore, New Hartford, NY.jpg
West Shore, New Hartford, NY.jpg (309.05 KiB) Viewed 15406 times
 #1302676  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

Railhead wrote:Good Morning
The train just crossed French Road 11/11/2014 at 0930

I must have caught it on the return at around 12:30. What are the odds, I haven't been there in months. I'm gonna try and upload the video to youtube when I get around to it next week. My camera phone takes pretty good videos.

#1302726  by lackman

Congratulations !!!
Glad you got the photos you were looking for and cannot wait for the video. Post it on this web site as well please.

We moved to Ohio in 1972. When we went back to Utica for vacation for several days, I'd drive all around the Erie Lackawanna / NYSW in my free time hoping to see a train, any train. Ranged from Utica, up to Sherburne, and back. Usually would only see a box car or hopper car here or there. Usually headed back to Ohio with very little success.
Rail Pace Magazine kept me up to date with periodic reporting on the NYSW over the years, until I found this forum. The Utica related forums on this web site are priceless. I have been "there" on the west shore ROW and spent time at the hobby shop. Great picture. Keep up the good reporting. 4 box cars are better than none!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards, and good hunting, Lackman
 #1302837  by NYCUticaSyracuse81

lackman wrote:Congratulations !!!
Glad you got the photos you were looking for and cannot wait for the video. Post it on this web site as well please.

We moved to Ohio in 1972. When we went back to Utica for vacation for several days, I'd drive all around the Erie Lackawanna / NYSW in my free time hoping to see a train, any train. Ranged from Utica, up to Sherburne, and back. Usually would only see a box car or hopper car here or there. Usually headed back to Ohio with very little success.
Rail Pace Magazine kept me up to date with periodic reporting on the NYSW over the years, until I found this forum. The Utica related forums on this web site are priceless. I have been "there" on the west shore ROW and spent time at the hobby shop. Great picture. Keep up the good reporting. 4 box cars are better than none!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards, and good hunting, Lackman
Here it is. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLcojsjFGmg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1310145  by lackman

Be sure to look at the Utica Branch Discussion thread as well as reading this thread. Many great pictures lately which show the Susquehanna on the west shore and old O&W trackage in Utica.

Lackman