Railroad Forums 

• Who did the scrapping of NYSW S-2 and RS-1's ?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1239524  by Alcoman

I am compiling a list of all the ALCO locomotives that went through Naparano Iron & Metal in New Jersey until they stopped scrapping locos. I am sure that NIMX scrapped the FJ&G ALCO S-2's, but I am unable to find out who scrapped other ALCO'S for this railroad.
ALCOMAN
 #1242737  by cjvrr

ALCOMAN,

I remember seeing photos of some engines being scrapped in place at the Little Ferry roundhouse. Perhaps in one of the many books on the railroad?
 #1242917  by njmidland

Almost all of the remaining S2's and RS1's were scrapped where they sat at Little Ferry. As I recall everything that was left laying around Little Ferry when the original SeaLand deal was signed in 1986 was cleaned out. There were a few boxcars and a tank car or two that went at the same time.

What I always wondered about was the ex-Erie Stillwell that served at one time as some kind of yard office at the south end of the yard. It was located not too far from where the Edgewater Branch swung off. I assume it got cut up but I don't know if it was in 1986 or much earlier. I had business reasons to visit the roundhouse/turntable area in those days but other than what you could see looking down from the Western Branch of the Turnpike it was impossible to see the south end.
 #1251609  by airman00

As per Mr. Scotty Chaos' website... 3 still exsist. None are operating that I know of. 240, 246, and the 231:1. The 231:1 is actually an RSD-1.

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Scotty ... squehanna/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps. :-) (with 3 still in exsistence there's always hope that maybe one of them will run again someday?)