Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern closed on Christmas Eve/Day?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1454591  by SouthernRailway

I have a trip on the northbound Crescent today, Christmas Eve. Does Norfolk Southern reduce or halt its freight traffic particularly this evening and particularly on the Birmingham-Atlanta-Greenville line? I hope so, for the Crescent to be on time for a change. Thanks.
 #1454595  by fcqjx

According to an NS press release interchange will not be accepted after 7:00 am (EST I presume) and all operations (Freight) will stop after 3:00 pm on the 24th ( includes road trains, yard switchers, and local trains servicing customers.) Interchange and operations will resume at 10:00 pm on Monday Christmas day.
 #1454707  by Gadfly

fcqjx wrote:According to an NS press release interchange will not be accepted after 7:00 am (EST I presume) and all operations (Freight) will stop after 3:00 pm on the 24th ( includes road trains, yard switchers, and local trains servicing customers.) Interchange and operations will resume at 10:00 pm on Monday Christmas day.
That's been the traditional "annulment" schedule for years. I went back to work many a Christmas night as we (NS) resumed operations. And, actually, from an employee standpoint, it wasn't a bad gig, really. I mean, we kinda got to observe Christmas, and those of us called back in made double time and a half and there were few bosses on the property. It made for a quiet, easy night! :wink:

GF