Railroad Forums 

• New England Steam Excursions?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1379430  by highgreen215

Any possibility of excursions by 611 on NS rails into New England, specifically Boston? Virginia is a little too far for me to go to see this beauty.
 #1380327  by YamaOfParadise

Would there be any problems moving her through Hoosac Tunnel? I don't know if any of the previous routes excursions have been on had tunnels on them. The Hoosac Tunnel isn't trivial in length... it's the largest east of the Rockies, and I don't know if the ventilation is sufficient to keep up with a steam locomotive.
 #1380421  by ExNYC63

In steam days on the B&M electric locomotives pulled steam powered trains through the tunnel.
The fires in the steam locos were banked to keep down smoke while the electric locos did all
the work. Diesels eliminated the need for the electrics, but an exhaust fan system was installed
to remove diesel exhaust.
 #1381041  by highgreen215

611 would be a spectacular sight in Boston's North Station. It's a whole different animal, but if we can host Tall Ships celebrations, Indycar races on city streets, and seriously consider hosting Olympics here, surely we could accommodate a visiting steam locomotive with advertising sponsors helping offset the costs.
 #1382581  by charding

...probably another reason why 611 will not show up in New England is that her support base is in Roanoke, VA and excursions in New England might be a little far...looking forward to her appearance at the Manassas Railroad Days on 3/4 June...
 #1390082  by Noel Weaver

I don't have a current link to the NS release when they pretty much restricted steam operations to Virginia and North Carolina and 611 only. I don't think there is a snowball's chance 611 will go to the northeast anywhere at least not east of Buffalo and probably not there either. No way would they allow 611 to operate through Hoosac Tunnel except with a diesel ahead doing the work.
Noel Weaver