Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Hang Test

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1073789  by bretylium

I have searched around for this question but cant seem to find a SPECIFIC aspect about this test which is done at McDonough during training. I know you have to hang off a ladder for 1 min 15 sec, but is it a "dead hang" (ie vertical hang from monkeybars) or "angle hang" (bootom feet on rung of ladder with body extended to side and one arm extended holding onto a rung. I want to be sure, the idea of a "dead hang" seems a little extreme to me. I am envisioning hanging at an angle swinging a lantern? Do you have to swing the lantern in a minimum arc distance while hanging, or just so long as your arm is moving with it? I used to be in the military (a long time ago) and am in decent shape so am I wrong in assuming this isnt so tough for someone in decent shape?
 #1073837  by Dewoc19

the hang test is 1 minute and 15 seconds for each arm. You basically mount a railcar ladder that is attached to the building, you have to grab hold with one arm and give a "proceed/forward" signal the entire time, then give a "reduce/slow down" signal for like 5 seconds then switch arms, do the same thing with the other arm but instead of proceed you give a "backup/reverse" signal the entire time, then i think a reduce/slow down signal again and that it.

BUT

you are not allowed to adjust your hands AT ALL once you grab hold and they start timing you, if you even move a finger to try and regrip or adjust your hands you fail and they tell you to get down and go to the back of the line, if you fail again you get 1 more try the next day, if you fail the next day you are sent home and can forget about every working for Norfolk Southern ever again!!!