Railroad Forums 

• Generator Move at Manchester NH

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1459057  by artman

Not sure if this is the right place for this, as I don't know which Railroad will be transporting it...

NH DOT Reports through their Facebook page:

"Some traffic backups on I-93 northbound this afternoon as a large supermove of a generator made its way north from Massachusetts to the Manchester area where it was going to be loaded onto a rail car."

72-Wheel Trailier

If it is being trucked to Manchester and going by Rail - where to?
 #1459068  by artman

Yes - would they truck all the way to Manchester just to rail it back to Nashua or somewhere south? I cannot find anything on line
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1459071  by Dick H

Possibility that there is no suitable location in Nashua where that heavyweight
trailer and load could drive right to the rail side. A frozen or muddy rail yard
sure would not cut the mustard.
 #1459151  by artman

flyingfox10 wrote:It came in by rail, and was loaded onto the truck.
I agree that makes more sense, but why did the DOT say otherwise? Maybe they messed up
 #1459893  by wally

it arrived in manchester by rail, and was driven via the self-propelled "trailer" to a location in londonderry, near scobie pond substation. a transformer, not a generator, it is over 500k lbs, built in south korea.