Railroad Forums 

• B&M Gawking (District 2 Sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1393650  by newpylong

Ridiculous that every engine doesn't have one along with spare knuckles of each type and different length air hoses themselves. ShoRT money to avoid aggregation and delays.
Last edited by newpylong on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1393652  by Tom M

The crew expressed their dismay at the lack of tools and spare hoses on the engines to D2, indicating that, in the future, they would just stop and wait for someone to bring them the tools they lacked. I heard them approaching the arch last night as I arrived home. Then I heard a whoosh of air, followed by the screeching of brakes. As I walked in the house, D2 was being advised of the situation. They found a hose pulled apart 10 cars back. Unable to get air to the rear of the train, more inspection found another hose damaged about 14 cars back. That one needed the tools and new hose. I have wrenches up to 4' in my garage, but civilians going onto railroad property is frowned upon these days. It sounded like DOBO's crew came to the rescue with NHN's tools, which were then left in a bucket east of the arch for DOBO to pick up later. Aubuchon would have been a good idea, but the crew would have needed a Pan Am credit card.
 #1393659  by MEC407

New text added to help-wanted ads for ST conductors:

"Must have your own tools."
 #1393726  by jaymac

When part of the requirement for engineers is to "supply own lube oil," then the spirit of Fink 1.0 has been revivified.
 #1397834  by MEC407

Photo by Gary Knapp:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/586370/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1400242  by Dick H

The MBTA is doing major work on the Haverhill Merrimac River Bridge beginning Friday night (9/9)
and continuing through Saturday and Sunday. MBTA will be busing between Haverhill and North
Wilmington. Downeasters will be busing between Haverhill and Boston, with no Woburn service.
I have seen nothing official, but it seems likely there will be no PAR trains operating between
Lowell Jct. and Haverhill over the weekend...
 #1400694  by Trinnau

Not quite, I'm sure they ran some local activity out of Lawrence, and they could always run a freight from Lowell to Lawrence to stage. This project has a series of outages, so there will be more of this.
 #1403844  by Z31SPL

My friend spotted tonight held up at the state line in Atkinson 6 engines and he estimates 40-50ish empty shallow gons heading west. Would that be a part of the LOSA job you think? Kinda sounds like a double LOSA train. I never heard where the gons originate or end up besides Boston and Lowell
 #1403907  by BostonUrbEx

The typical cycle is this:

1. Originate from somewhere on CSX and make their way to Selkirk Yard.
2. End up on CSX Q426 from Selkirk to Worcester.
3. Run-through on Pan AM as SEPO from Worcester to Rigby Yard.
4. Switched out to POED.
5. PAR POED runs from Portland and sets out the gons in Lowell.
6. Sit around in Lowell with about 200 other cars.
7. Eventually pulled out for a LOSA and brought straight to Everett via Yard 8.
8. A switch out of Wynn and a runaround and good to go.
9. Run back to Lowell usually still symboled as LOSA, occasionally SALO.
10. ???? Picked up by SEPO in Lowell ????
11. SEPO handed off to CSX in Worcester as Q427 and brought to Selkirk.

So you must have seen a bastardized version of #5. A POED or extra acting as a POLO.
 #1403950  by eustis22

3. Run-through on Pan AM as SEPO from Worcester to Rigby Yard.
4. Switched out to POED.

Um..WO to LO via PO??? Why would they do that?
 #1403961  by KSmitty

eustis22 wrote:3. Run-through on Pan AM as SEPO from Worcester to Rigby Yard.
4. Switched out to POED.

Um..WO to LO via PO??? Why would they do that?
Because its less efficient to tie up crews pulling cars that arent preblocked in the middle of commuter territory than it is to run them a class yard, block them and haul them back down to LJ.

That said, if the cars come in preblocked, and they have room in Lowell, they will drop them.