Railroad Forums 

• East Deerfield Gawking

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1419344  by EDFLD Bill

Plate C wrote:Was there yesterday, could not make out what is that switch engine down near the shops? Could only see its rear.

Probably the ex-C&C S-4 moving to North Adams.......
 #1421210  by johnpbarlow

New business proposal for PAS at E Deerfield: "Deerfield railyard eyed for salt storage facility"

http://www.recorder.com/Salt-City-stora ... ty-8022378

I'm guessing this facility will be on the south side of the yard near its mid point where Google Maps aerial photo shows a long loading dock structure that would apparently need to be "destroyed"?
Attachments:
edy salt storage facility locale..JPG
edy salt storage facility locale..JPG (124.2 KiB) Viewed 6822 times
 #1421229  by newpylong

Yes that area is more officially called the "B&M Regional Side" by railroaders as in that vicinity were the old regional offices were.

Safety and noise hazards storing and loading salt? Perhaps the residents are blind to what goes on a mere 100 feet away in the yard.
 #1421353  by gokeefe

What did the regional offices handle? Was this basically the division headquarters?
 #1421377  by Safetee

yes it was very roughly the divisional headquarters for the Fitchburg Division primarily for transportation dept and maybe sales. the dock served primarily for whatever vestiges of lcl traffic and or transloading that remained in the 1960s.
 #1421596  by GU1001

Swung by East Deerfield this afternoon. Saw POED? yarding with 3 of the "new" GE's.
Also, there was a pile of road construction signs & barrels along with detour signs piled up in the grassy area to the left of the railfan bridge. I heard talk of bridge reconstruction last year. Maybe it'll start this spring. Anyone have more info?
 #1422108  by Xaque

GU1001 wrote:Swung by East Deerfield this afternoon. Saw POED? yarding with 3 of the "new" GE's.
Also, there was a pile of road construction signs & barrels along with detour signs piled up in the grassy area to the left of the railfan bridge. I heard talk of bridge reconstruction last year. Maybe it'll start this spring. Anyone have more info?
Yes. That bridge is slated to be fully replaced this year. I believe they will do a singe lane temp bridge (with lights) while they fully remove and replace the original.
 #1422144  by whatelyrailfan

Xaque wrote:
GU1001 wrote:Swung by East Deerfield this afternoon. Saw POED? yarding with 3 of the "new" GE's.
Yes. That bridge is slated to be fully replaced this year. I believe they will do a singe lane temp bridge (with lights) while they fully remove and replace the original.
When I was living in Whately, Guilford cleared the entire area west of the bridge with the intention of building a brand-new bridge next to (west) of the existing one in the late 1990s, early 2000s. A portion of River Road/McClelland Farm Road was to be relocated, and possibly a new intersection south of the new bridge. Whether this is still the plan, I don't know.
Peace,
Jonathan
 #1422167  by BenH

This is MassDOT project 602320. Here's a link to the project webpage:
https://hwy.massdot.state.ma.us/Project ... _NO=602320

Apparently, this project has been on MassDOT's radar since 1997.
 #1422186  by EDFLD Bill

"When I was living in Whately, Guilford cleared the entire area west of the bridge with the intention of building a brand-new bridge next to (west) of the existing one in the late 1990s, early 2000s. A portion of River Road/McClelland Farm Road was to be relocated, and possibly a new intersection south of the new bridge. Whether this is still the plan, I don't know.
Peace,
Jonathan"

The property that was cleared belongs to TREW Corp (Warner Bros.) and was cleared by them as a place to put the overburden when they expanded the quarry across the road.......
 #1422192  by GU1001

BenH wrote:
This is MassDOT project 602320. Here's a link to the project webpage:
https://hwy.massdot.state.ma.us/Project ... _NO=602320

Apparently, this project has been on MassDOT's radar since 1997.
Thanks for the reply.
A backhoe was parked next to the construction signs when I stopped by on Sunday.
According to the link above, the new bridge will have sidewalks. That'll be great for safety, but I hope they don't add chain link above the guard rails (strictly selfish railfan logic here :wink: ).
 #1426270  by neman2

I can't believe people who live next to a railyard that's probably been there 100 or so years would have a valid argument against an operation like this. We want our roads ,sidewalks , driveways, and parking lots safe but don't unload the stuff at an industrial (railyard) area that I chose to live next to. It wouldn't be a year round operation either.