Hoosac Tunnel Discussion & News

Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

newpylong

Re: Hoosac Tunnel Discussion & News

Post by newpylong »

The diversion was the first thing that had to happen. I have been told the entire brick lining section is being converted to shotcrete, hence the longer than expected restoration. The amount of bags in the area seems to support that as the immediate cave in area was shotcreted many weeks ago.

bostontrainguy

Post by bostontrainguy »

Check out this video. After the 12 minute mark you get a good look at the brick ceiling in the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR5kLlLTczc

Safetee

Post by Safetee »

Yesterday evening, an auto carrier unit train departed the Buckland auto carrier storage area heading for East Deerfield. Still quite a few cars remaining in the Buckland facility.

GP40MC1118

Post by GP40MC1118 »

Buckland facility? You mean the 90 racks stored out there?

D

newpylong

Post by newpylong »

Just like the 90s except those were boxcars, and stored out to Rices lol.

Safetee

Post by Safetee »

The Buckland herd is no more. Picked em up this sunny afternoon. Given the fact that ED is half MT there's lots of down there.

Plate C

Post by Plate C »

So empty auto racks sitting at ED should indicate the need for an EB auto train...? Or is this their new storage location? I've only caught that train once thus far on the detour, would like to see again if possible.

NHV 669

Post by NHV 669 »

John Barlow notes that there was another 27W fueling in Binghamton as of about three hours ago with 75x0.
Casey
Avatar: NHVT 669 sits at the south end of the "Pompy" line in White River Jct., VT on 4/29/1993. Photo by Richard Roberg.

Is there a sight worse than a rabid foamer sprinting towards your clean photo/video angle with a tripod, so he can set up two feet from the rails?

jaymac

Post by jaymac »

With Big 3 shutting down production, there's less demand for MT racks, so might as well store them where possible.
"A gray crossover is not company transportation."

Plate C

Post by Plate C »

Very true sir. I forgot about that & the effect that might have locally.

johnpbarlow

Post by johnpbarlow »

Q: is work continuing on the Hoosac Tunnel rehab or has it been curtailed due to state Covid 19 shutdown edicts?

Safetee

Post by Safetee »

I dont know what's going on in the tunnel today, but the way i read it all the work going on there is covered for continuation as "essential" under the Governors program

"Transportation and Logistics
Employees supporting or enabling transportation functions, including dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect infrastructure (including those that require cross-border travel)"

PBMcGinnis

Post by PBMcGinnis »

The Tunnel work and the railroads in general are also covered as being essential to National Defense.
So the work will continue. I heard they finally hit daylight last week and that the pile of debris to be excavated off the tracks is down to about 8 feet high.

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe »

I'm happy to read that they're making repairs. More than one rail line in New England has never recovered from a blow such as this.
gokeefe

NRGeep

Post by NRGeep »

How much of the collapse was a self inflicted blow, due
to deferred maintenance? Or was that out of Pan Am's control?

Return to “Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System)”