Railroad Forums 

• CSX Boston and Albany Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1117016  by railman616

Normally 3 trains West (Q119, Q017, & Q019) and 5 East (Q012, Q018, Q020, Q022 & Q164) a day with the occasioal extra like Q024 or Q014. And the Saturday and Sunday extras L113 & Q165.
 #1118893  by frrc

lakeshoredave wrote:so are freights officially off the b&a east of worcester now?
Framingham and Westboro still receive freight on a daily basis...
 #1118894  by F-line to Dudley via Park

lakeshoredave wrote:so are freights officially off the b&a east of worcester now?
No. Westborough is of course coming online for a major traffic influx, and loads are ever-increasing at the G&U interchange in Grafton. Framingham is still busy and will continue to be permanently, although obviously the Beacon Park thru traffic is going to go away. Beacon Park isn't totally shut for freight for another month or two, and until they get a new refueling station installed in Worcester the engine house is going to remain open for a move or two per day. The produce train to Everett resumes in a couple weeks since they're halfway through the repairs to the bridge, and Houghton Chemical is staying behind and retaining its siding after Beacon Park closes.

I strongly suspect Houghton's going to get an offer it can't refuse to relocate out-of-town because that parcel behind the Doubletree can get immediately redeveloped. And it's probably only a matter of short time before CSX sells the Everett job to PAR. We might only be a year or two away from the end of freight east of Framingham, but there'll still be 1 or 2 round trips per day until the Everett + Houghton dominoes fall into place. And Framingham-west is still a mission-critical freight corridor.
 #1119868  by csor2010

Based on a quick trip over to Beacon Park today, it seems that there's still a little bit of traffic. The TV tracks were occupied by some single stacks that I presume belonged to Q164, but the main yard was completely empty save for a few baretables. L012 arrived around 12:30 with some baretables which I think they left in the main yard. I didn't get a good look at the geep but I think it was hanging out near the yard tower. Based on the state of the engine terminal, I would presume that power is still going to Boston on a regular basis.
 #1129595  by Gilbert B Norman

It appears that there is active discussion at several passenger rail forums relating to the sale of the B&A East of Worcester to the MBTA - the Boston area regional passenger agency.

It would further appear that CSX believes they can adequately handle their containers to and from the Port of Boston over the highway from Worcester and remain competitive with Pan Am (B&M) and their marketing arrangement with Norfolk Southern, which I presume offers service by rail to a location either at or much closer to the Port facilities. CSX's decision seems to "fly in the face" of that made by the Florida East Coast which has invested (in part) private capital so that rail service can be offered directly to the Port of Miami.

This map that recently appeared in the Wall Street Journal within an article concerning the now-averted longshoreman's stroke, certainly suggests that the Port of Boston is a backwater (sorry, New Englanders such as Messrs. Nelligan, O' Keefe, and, transplant I think, Cowford) and with CSX serving every major East Coast port except Miami, they may be of thought "what do we care? let Pan Am/NS have the business. But with all these ports on an expansion frenzy to accommodate the post-PANAMAX traffic they foresee diverted to the East, it is surprising that they are not "gearing up" for service at Boston rather than what would appear to be retreating.

Signed: "Befuddled"

disclaimer: author holds long position CSX - "it hasn't done well"
 #1129615  by Teamdriver

Maybe they are copy cats, Maersk thinks the same :
'' Boston, U.S. – Container yard service discontinuation
Kindly note that effective 22 March 2010, we will no longer accept bookings for Boston,
Massachusetts U.S. container yard (CY) service.
As an alternative, we service the Stackbridge Terminal container yard at Worcester,
Massachusetts. Store door service from Boston will still be offered on and after 22 March
Please see below further details regarding the impact on both import and export cargo
to/from Boston container yard (CY).
Maersk Line will honour all shipments already on water to the Boston Conley
Terminal container yard for U.S. import or that have already gated in at the
terminal for U.S export.
We will honour all existing bookings for future sailings to/from Boston (CY).
We will continue to accept bookings for Boston container yard service until the
effective discontinuation date. No new bookings for Boston (CY) service will be
accepted on or after 22 March 2010.
We offer alternative container yard service to/from Massachusetts at Worcester.''
 #1129742  by QB 52.32

CSX's intermodal traffic, as is NS's (PAS), in New England is not at all dependant upon the port of Boston's container traffic. Because of container steamship line economics driving a hub-and-spoke system minimizing port calls, Boston has been overshadowed by Halifax and NY/NJ since the 1980's for the container traffic that moves to/from the Midwest and generates rail transportation demand. And, anyhow, given the fact that CSX retains the freight rights in the sale of track, they maintain access to this potential franchise in the unlikely event things change.
 #1129790  by Backshophoss

The Track from Worcester to Beacon Park is in the process of a "Phased turnover" from CSX to MBTA/MBCR ownership,
presently CSX still dispatches the route,MBTA/MBCR now does the track/signal maintance.
It's presently unkhown if CSX will "create" an engine facilty at Worcester,or just use a "service truck"/fuel tanker as needed.
 #1129932  by Gilbert B Norman

I thank all such as Mr. "Illigitimi non carborundum", for their thoughts regarding to what extent the Port of Boston expects to be a post-PANAMAX player. As I noted at a topic relating to the Port of Miami at the FEC Forum, I can only hope that the various taxpayer supported Port agencies are not getting ready to throw a post-PANAMAX party to which nobody came.

Of course, the "save the whales" crowd will be happy to learn of these observations (@ 17.56):

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50138303n
 #1129941  by TomNelligan

It would further appear that CSX believes they can adequately handle their containers to and from the Port of Boston over the highway from Worcester and remain competitive with Pan Am (B&M) and their marketing arrangement with Norfolk Southern, which I presume offers service by rail to a location either at or much closer to the Port facilities.
Actually no, at least not at this time. The Boston-area terminal for NS/PanAm intermodal service is at Ayer, Mass., about 30 miles west of the city. The B&M trackage to the Charlestown container pier has been out of service for years, and aside from seasonal gravel trains, freight business on the B&M side of Boston so close to nonexistant that the railroad doesn't even base a switcher there anymore.
 #1129958  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Is there a latest ETA on when they pull the last of the freight out of Beacon Park and do (for time being) engine servicing/refueling and Houghton Chemical deliveries only? Feb. 1 was the last reported estimate in this thread. They still playing it by ear when the cutoff date is going to be?
 #1129961  by Teamdriver

Here is an article regarding the area, interviewing a Pappas family member. The family has owned property in the South Boston commercial port proximate area forever. I dont think the future vision for that area is lots of dropped containers waiting for pickup. Also, a few years back, and I cant find it anywhere now, in a trade magazine , there was an article about CSX looking to create a marshaling yard for containers railed up from NY /NJ port and then trucked. The Boston port lost Maersk direct, only gets barges of their containers from otherwheres. As much as I love ships , trains , and trucks, it looks bleak for cargo commerce. If I were king , it would be different. ( I miss White Fuel down beside Conley )

http://www.boston.com/packages/waterfro ... conomy.htm

LATE ENTRY , looks interesting , didnt read yet :

http://www16.us.archive.org/stream/port ... s_djvu.txt
 #1129980  by GaryAF

Did a little googling (ah, why are trains and ships so addictive?) and found the following on Massport's site
( - see http://www.massport.com/port-of-boston/ ... ation.aspx ):

"Boston is New England’s gateway to the Midwest via truck or rail, providing low outbound truck rates and fast intermodal transit times. Cargo off-loaded in Boston can reach Chicago in 24 hours by truck or 32 hours by rail. "

A list of shipping companies that service Boston is included.

Slightly 'off track', I found the following in a recent WSJ article
( - see http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... 54870.html ):

"China's transition toward a free-market economy has encouraged competition among state-owned enterprises, pitting Beijing-based Cosco—which has a 51-year history—against the smaller China Shipping. The companies have competed on international routes, benefiting from robust demand from the West for Chinese-made consumer goods."

Gary