Railroad Forums 

• ConRail and passenger services

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#622103  by lvrr325

I could picture in my head that maybe one more got blue paint and minimal lettering, but I couldn't remember enough to be sure - thanks -
 #623456  by Otto Vondrak

I think the only E8's that got full Conrail blue and full can opener logos were the three units that were assigned to the OCS/Business Train...

-otto-
 #623860  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:I could picture in my head that maybe one more got blue paint and minimal lettering, but I couldn't remember enough to be sure - thanks -
There was one F9 that got painted up in CR Blue and it is reported to be the only such one to be painted blue out side off all the F series Units outside of the FL9.
 #624056  by lvrr325

lvrr325 wrote:MTA's paint scheme for the FL9s was yellow nose, blue sides. Some later got Conrail blue sides and lettering instead of a darker blue with PC logo.

One Conrail F7A was painted blue; former NYC 1648 (later 1792).
scharnhorst wrote:
There was one F9 that got painted up in CR Blue and it is reported to be the only such one to be painted blue out side off all the F series Units outside of the FL9.
Conrail inherited no F9 locomotives. But it's good to read the entire thread before replying.
 #631875  by Conrail4014&EL825

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: I rode the Buffalo-Toronto RDC service on four round trips BUF-TOR in 1979 and 1980 and I will add to NS VIA's post that I recall this train used CP RDC's,the TH&B and Conrail had an agreement running this train taking six month turns between Buffalo and Hamilton and a CP crew took the train between Hamilton and Toronto. NS notes that the CR crew was St.Thomas based-a remnant of Niagara Rainbow service - I recall one CR conductor working this train wore a Amtrak uniform and that I was quite surprised that he was indeed from St.Thomas. Another thing I recall was this train was the only passenger service run by CR that had no subsidy whatsoever.

I became very interested in this train and I drew up a proposed schedule as a proposed Amtrak train thru to Toronto and I submitted it to NARP,government agencies like the Ontario MTC and politicians like US Representative John LaFalce from the Niagara Frontier-he took some interest in seeing thru rail service to Toronto from WNY. I was told that Niagara Falls did not want to lose any rail service and the routing via CN serving population centers like St.Catharines would be much preferred. I then drew up a proposed schedule using the CN route and submitted it further-rail activists took up this idea and in the Spring of 1981 the Amtrak/Via Rail Canada Maple Leaf was born.

I do wonder what would have become of this service if the re-routing had not occured and if Amtrak and VIA would have kept this route over the more populated CN route under contract with Conrail and the TH&B.

In closing I feel that this was one of the most interesting passenger trains partially operated by Conrail in its history.
Memories and observations from MACTRAXX
If I recall correctly, former Erie Lackawanna Youngstown-Cleveland commuter trains 28 and 29 were also unsubsidized, which was part of the reason for their demise. Also, I believe the last run was handled by CR4014/EL825, which I'm obligated to mention because its the handle I post under!
 #635942  by MACTRAXX

EL825: When did the Cleveland-Warren-Youngstown trains make their last run?
Were any NE Ohio government agencies contacted in hopes of saving this service?
This run and the Detroit-Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor services from the 70s are arguably the most obscure passenger services CR operated.
The BUF-TOR train was NOT the only unsubsidized CR service!
MACTRAXX
 #636196  by trainwayne1

The last commuter run on the Cleveland-Youngstown line was Jan. 14, 1977...3 cars pulled by CR 4014, still in its E-L colors with CR lettered in the diamonds on the nose and sides.
Ref. Page 167 in Erie Lackawanna-Death of an American Railroad by H Roger Grant
 #644534  by NaDspr

Conrail E-8 #4022 was one painted in CR freight engine blue and was used in commuter service in New Jersey.
I have pix of it and also rode it on a commuter train when I worked for NJT in 1980.
I also remember being able to see "833" under a coat or two of paint inside the cab, which was its EL number.
I rode it on the NY&LB (aka the North Jersey Coast Line).
 #649207  by Noel Weaver

driver10 wrote:conrail used to roll through my home city of lowell,mass
I don't think Conrail did, the Lowell line was not part of the FSP for Conrail and nobody else wanted it either.
Noel Weaver
 #649294  by chuchubob

NaDspr wrote:Conrail E-8 #4022 was one painted in CR freight engine blue and was used in commuter service in New Jersey.
I have pix of it and also rode it on a commuter train when I worked for NJT in 1980.
I also remember being able to see "833" under a coat or two of paint inside the cab, which was its EL number.
I rode it on the NY&LB (aka the North Jersey Coast Line).
CR 4022 was subsequently painted for the Office Car Special and is now back in its original livery.
 #761530  by TREnecNYP

Gerry6309 wrote:Many a New Haven Fan was aghast at the invasion of their territory by BM but it kept the trains running. The operation has been unified ever since, though a link between the two terminals seems impossible.
I'm not sure about surface level, but you could do a VRE/MARC style duck-under if there was enough space with all the utilities and any metro tunnels.

- A
 #1116846  by AgentSkelly

Recently, I met a old timer who is a long retired Conrail employee who his first years were on the Buffalo-Toronto passenger route. He wasn't clear on what exactly his title was but he made it sound like he was a conductor who worked with a CP or VIA conductor on the RDCs which I thought was interesting if that's the case. He mentioned collecting tickets on that route was a pain because you saw tickets from CN, CP, Amtrak, and something he called "Special Conrail Tickets" which I am guessing are the tickets bought in Hamilton?
 #1161275  by Otto Vondrak

trainwayne1 wrote:The last commuter run on the Cleveland-Youngstown line was Jan. 14, 1977...3 cars pulled by CR 4014, still in its E-L colors with CR lettered in the diamonds on the nose and sides.
How did this train survive so far outside EL's other suburban services? How was it that Conrail was forced to continue its operation? Who was subsidizing the train's operation? Was this train the last one to use Terminal Tower as a heavy rail train station?

Also, if anyone has photography from the Conrail era of operation that they'd be willing to share with me for possible publication, please contact me by PM. Thank you!

-otto-