Railroad Forums 

• "Canadian" pulled by EMD F's w/ Stainless ?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#609492  by 3rdrail

Is it still possible to travel on a "Canadian" type CPR consist, and be pulled by F Units with Budd stainless 50's cars ?
 #610078  by Ken V

Well, ummm. No and yes... kind of, sort of. But not what I expect you are asking for.

When the CPR turned over its passenger services to VIA Rail in 1978 100% of their Budd built, stainless steel, rolling stock went over to VIA as well. Today, almost all of the Budd cars are still owned by VIA and are in active service. And most of the trains these operate on are powered by F40PH-2 locomotives. So, if you took VIA's Canadian or Chaleur (or Ocean, at times), you would be riding a CPR "Canadian" type of train pulled by "F"-units (although, not F7s or E8s however), and the use of steam for heating is long gone.
 #610104  by 3rdrail

Hi Ken -
Thanks for the clarification, and yes, I should have made myself more clear - I was referring to an F-7, or even an E-8, etc.
The basis for my question stems from the fact that the Royal Canadian Pacific, out of Calgary, does in fact use an F-7. Although I'm not certain, I believe that R.C.P. is in fact owned by Canadian Pacific, and therefore wondered if they ever take it out and couple it to Budd stainless cars - even if for a rare "salute to the 1955 Canadian" type thing when it's not pulling the heavyweight cars.

As you can tell, I'm a big admirer of what was the Canadian with F-7's and Budds, and it seems as if within the last 20 or so years, I could have had the Budds and not the F...or vice versa ! I did Via's "Ocean", I believe it was, in the 80's, complete with Budds and an F40-PH (photo), and can now do the Royal Canadian Pacific with an F-7 and older heavyweight cars. I do imagine that a true recreation of what I have mentioned might be difficult as it would entail a considerable Budd consist with most likely a A-B-A or even a A-B-B-A F-7 lashup.

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... n&BOOL=ALL

http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?200 ... n&BOOL=ALL
 #610367  by atsf sp

You can have it pulled by a F-7 but have a F40PH as secondary with its HEP. Or even better, outfit a baggage car with a HEP and have pure F units and not F40s.
 #610392  by 3rdrail

Yeah, again, I may be wrong, but I think that they run a vintage B unit along with the A on the Royal Canadian Pacific. Too bad I was 4 years old in 1955 !
 #612005  by Tadman

Paul, I notice you are sitting in chair not bolted to the floor - a big no-no by FRA rules, and a welcome aspect of train travel as far as I'm concerned.

Freaking
Random
Agency

I write this as I'm doing my agency law final. I tell you, I cannot stand agencies and agency law.
 #612011  by 3rdrail

You had me concerned there for a moment, Tadman. I looked around my office to see where the camera was - then I remembered the above photo ! hahaha!!! Does the Canadian system piggyback the U.S.-F.R.A. ?
 #613895  by Otto Vondrak

I forgot about this operation. So apparently, CPR is operating this regular passenger excursion through a subsidiary...
Royal Canadian Pacific is a luxury rail tour train based in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and offering rail experience through the Canadian Rockies. The Royal Canadian Pacific was established in 2000 utilizing Canadian Pacific Railway business cars from the early 20th century. The cars, themselves were built in 1916 through 1931 have been all restored to their original splendour. Royal Canadian Pacific is owned and operated by Mount Stephen Properties Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Canadian Pacific Railway Company.
And they have this fleet of vintage cars (plucked from the CPR business car fleet?) hauled by EMD F-units in vintage CP dress. So, it sounds like it you want to be hauled by F units, book a trip on this. If you want to ride in stainless steel cars, ride VIA. But you can't have both. ;-)

-otto-
 #613909  by 3rdrail

Yes, I've come to that conclusion also. My point regarding these questions was wondering if Royal Canadian Pacific is connected to Canadian Pacific Railway, (which it is via subsidiery), might there be special trip(s) planned in the present or future utilizing their vintage F's (assuming them also to be connected to CPR or VIA), along with vintage 1950's Budd equipment. I understand that VIA pretty much has retained the entire fleet of Budds, so a circa 1955 glistening stainless steel "Canadian" with ten cars and vintage F's is at least logistically possible. Of course, making this link requires a working relationship between VIA-CPR-RCP, which I have no doubt exists. They have already bypassed what would be an American problem of the older equipment not coming up to FRA specs, as all the equipment, (locomotives and consist) are presently running, albeit seperately. Bottom line - I'm looking for advance notice into a possible "special run" combining the two elements.
 #614084  by Ken V

I don't think it'll happen any time soon. Royal Canadian Pacific is owned by CPR but has no association with VIA either formally or informally. Today's VIA Canadian runs almost exclusively on Canadian National tracks and CPR has resisted attempts by VIA to return trains to its tracks, so that relationship is a bit strained.
 #647040  by TrainDuNord

The FP9As that haul The Royal Canadian Pacific (CP 4106 and 4107) are not CP originals. They are ex-CNs that were acquired in 2006 just for the RCP. Original CP F numbers stopped at 4105. So much for nostalgia!

Both built by GMD (not EMD) in 1957 for CN, transfered to VIA, sold to Ohio Central, and bought back by CP.