Railroad Forums 

• MP15DC retirement

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#219136  by U-Haul

Thanks Bryanjones.

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

#223202  by badneighbor

they look spiffy. i'm used to MP-15s in blue-white, or green on Long Island. Red is awesome.
 #223268  by Komachi

"Action Red" (I believe it's still called that) is indeed spiffy on those units... but, I'm kinda partial to good old Black with a nice, big, band of "Hiawatha Orange" (I think that's what it was called) around the middle.

Mmmmmmmmmm. Milwaukee Road. (Homer Simpson-like drooling.)

#223990  by GOLDEN-ARM

I would find it hard to believe they are in storage. The stacks aren't covered, and the windows aren't either. CP would stash them up at Shoreham, I would imagine, along with everything else they have stashed there. (it's still there, isn't it?) There was all kinds of stuff there, when I was running out of St. Paul, inside the roundhouse, on the leads to the roundhouse (between the turntable, and the stalls) and all over, behind the machine shop, and paint shop. Very leasable, as well, it'shard to believe they will sit still, for very long....... :-D
 #224001  by pablo

What is the market for such locomotives in leasing? I know they get snapped up...but by whom?

Dave Becker

#224017  by GOLDEN-ARM

Any shortline, or regional with older, "junkers" on the roster, would eagerly snap them up. Rail-America is always on the prowl, for a good loco to lease, as well as G&W. I would imagine there would be a line of people, waiting to bid on their sale, or lease, if they became available. There is even a class-1 railroad, with a large roster of leased units, and these would easily be a better deal to operate, than some old GP-7,9 or 10's. :-D

#224162  by 2spot

CP Rail did recently offer for sale one MP15DC. It was supposed to become CP1448 but was never painted or renumbered, never put into service. Retired Dec. 2005, it still looked like RTEX 229. I dont know its disposition since. I can link to a description of it but not a picture: http://www.mountainrailway.com/CP%201400%20Page%203.htm Mountainrailway is an excellent site-all CPRail!

#224423  by trainiac

"Action Red" (I believe it's still called that) is indeed spiffy on those units...
It sure does look spiffy! That's Candy Apple Red--Action Red is the lighter orange-red colour of the 1970's and 1980's, usually combined with the multimark (AKA the Pacman :-D ).
 #224433  by Komachi

I have an article in a 1990 issue of MR (April?) that has Andy Spendero (sp?) talking about building a GP50 in the new Red scheme for the Soo Line. He described it as "Candy Apple Red," but I wasn't sure if that was his term, or the official name for it.

Still sharp, whatever you call it.

#255413  by QR National

Candy apple is the name refered to in "Classic Trains" 2003 issue about locomotive paint schemes getting jazzy.