Railroad Forums 

• THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#185355  by Kazaam

This afternoon (Sunday, November 13th) I was working on a transfer train that runs the terminal area of Toronto, we were Westbound coming from the North Toronto Sub onto the Galt Sub, and just over the diamond when the engineer pointed out something that was very dangerous and rediculus and probably the reason behind why most train crews are not that "fond" of Railbuffs. As I looked out the engineers side window, I saw not 1, not 2, not 3 BUT 4 photographers on private property, STANDING ON A HOPPER CAR IN AN INDUSTRIAL SPUR taking pictures of us. Not only is this dangerous, but it is also illegal and if caught, you will be fined!!!!! I am not saying that the photographers are members of this forum, but it is a healthy reminder/warning to stay off Private Property and have some respect when observing rail traffic. Anyone who knows of any other forums, please feel free to copy and paste this post on them. Thank-you. Also if the moderator knows of a better spot on this website for this message please feel free to move it.

#185360  by Ken V

The behavior of these so called Railbuffs is completely outrageous! I would never think of doing anything like that. If they were kids, not being malicious, I might excuse it due to youthful ignorance, but if they were supposedly mature adults, there's no excuse.

Actions like this give all train enthusiasts a bad reputation.
 #185372  by Komachi

Not cool, deffinately not cool.

Kazaam, would you care to take a guess as to about what age these HOSEHEADS (no, not railfans) are/were? Teenagers? Or 30-somethings? Deffinately people who should know better, yes?

Seriously, if you're going to do stupid (**AIR HORN**) like this and give the rest of us, responsable, respectful railfans, then you can just TAKE OFF!!!!! And be thankful we don't track you down and give you a good high sticking for it. How would you like it if I wanted to take a picture of your neighbor's activities and climbed up on top of your personal vehicle to do so? Or your house? PRIVATE PROPERTY is deffinately OUT OF BOUNDS. Especially when it deals with any industry. Of course, if you want to win a Darwin Award, don't let me stop you.

Really, it's activities like the one above that turn the railroads against us in pursuing our hobby. You're hurting, not helping. So, play by the rules or just TAKE OFF!!!!

BTW, Kazaam,

"That is one stiff hosebag!"

That wouldn't be a quote from either/both of the McKenzie brothers (Bob and/or Doug) would it? Just currious. (Big fan of the Rick Moranis/Dave Thomas comedy routine.)

I made your post a "sticky" so it would stay on the top of the list for a while so we can discuss this topic a tad further. Civilly and cleanly (please, no swearing... use sound effects or "explative deleted" in such cases)... or I pull out one of my "majik locks."

Okay, so that's my rant for today, good day. (Does "Great White North" Theme Song.)

#185642  by Kazaam

Komachi, yes these people definately would/should know better, I didn't get a real good look at them but they were definately in their 30's and higher. As far as the quote goes, no, I don't believe those 2 have said that, although, I could be wrong. I came up with that when I have worked in the real cold temperatures and the Air hose or "Hosebag" as railroaders call them become really ridgid and hard to make them bend to make the connection between them. I also have the original message posted in the photography and video section.

#185647  by ANDY117

The pride of the huiman genepool, eh? It really saddens me that people like this exist, and call themselves railfans, while simultaneously ruining it for the rest of us.

#189863  by trainmaster_1

Wait so your the guy on the T22 Transfers...

#190995  by Kazaam

Yeah, T-01 IMS Transfer, was, got bumped last Wed.

#191875  by Aji-tater

Maybe - just maybe - one of those guys owned the industry where the car was spotted and hired 3 other railfans to work there with him. In the course of going on top of the hopper to open hatches to load it they may have discovered that it made a perfect vantage point from which to photograph passing trains. The next Sunday, instead of watching football or hockey, they went to their place of employment, safely climbed the hopper which was spotted well within the property of said industry, and happily took pictures of the passing trains.

OR - maybe they were idiot railfans who didn't belong there!

#193549  by trainmaster_1

Kazaam wrote:Yeah, T-01 IMS Transfer, was, got bumped last Wed.
BTW do you know any recent operations on why the T12's (3rd Emery's) been ordering out of Lambton Yard and not Toronto Yard anymore? Just last summer they've been ordered out of Toronto Yard every day of the week except Sat & Sun then all of sudden they were gone till I was down at West Toronto and watching them do there runs at night.

#193654  by Kazaam

Not sure Mike, can't even guess as to why the change of yard or the time change. I have honestly never worked the job before.

#235290  by W.E.Coyote

Kazaam wrote:Komachi, yes these people definately would/should know better, I didn't get a real good look at them but they were definately in their 30's and higher.
Can't blame the teenagers this time :(

Tip off the RR police? If they're railfans chances are they'll stick around for a bit to shoot some consists...

#258868  by Adirondack_Ghost

maybe they weren't railfans and maybe they were urbexers?

Ghost
 #259259  by Komachi

Das Geist,

Ya know, never thought of that...

I always think of urban explorers as crawling through sewers and steam tunnels or sneaking around abandoned buildings, not so much railroad yards... but a railyard still offers "excitement and adventure" to that set, so, maybe.

Interesting thought/consideration.

#267194  by Tadman

Check out some of the urban explorer sites on the web, it's neat stuff. Not exactly something I'd get into, but just the same they go neat places - especially D&H Colonie shops, Cincinnati subway, Rochester subway...

#296014  by AgentSkelly

I'm a moderator over at www.uer.ca and this caught my attention. I can't think of anything abandoned over near the area you speak of. If you guys called CPR Police on them, we would of heard them whining about being arrested on our boards and I would of yelled at them for being that stupid.