Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#183605  by Engineer James

I was shopping with my folks the other day. It was a outlet mall, and I herad the blow of a GE Unit. Turned around and here comes a CP GE, 2 Old UP Low-nose (Had to be either had to be GP9's, 20's , or 38-2's, not sure), and followed by another CP GE. My question is howmany Old UP GP's does CP use or own?? Or are they leased. (However the UP units had No Road numbers nor the UNION PACIFIC Herald, but was in UP paint. And were showing some good use.)

#183911  by Ken V

Could they have been SD40-2's? CP currently has about 25 ex UP SD40-2's on lease which are still in UP colors and wear the old UP road numbers with CEFX reporting marks.

#184029  by Engineer James

Nope. They were 2wheel-trucked and were shorter than the SD40's, MUCH Shorter.

#184209  by ANDY117

We get a ton of CEFX ex UP SD45's labeled as SD40-2's down here.
 #184325  by Komachi

Did UP retain any of the old C&NW Geeps after the aquisition, or did they purge them all from the roster? I have a strange feeling the old girls didn't get a new paint job in UP livery...

Could they be former CRANDIC (Cedar Rapids AND Iowa City) units? I know the CRANDIC was unloading a few of its Geeps (-7 or -9 units) a while ago and the CRANDIC paint scheme is similar to the UPs. However, I don't know what the disposition of the CRANDIC units was, or if they still have them, however.

Unit numbers would have been helpful in tracking down the original operator/leasor in this case... (hey, I've missed numbers too, so don't feel too bad!).

#184333  by AmtrakFan

Komachi,
They did keep them for a few years after the merger the GP's. None of them got the new paint job.

#184764  by trainmaster_1

What you saw was ex-UP SW10's that CP has, unfortunately they were stored and then sold to NRE.

#185402  by Engineer James

I do not know... but, I don't think they were sw10's... did not look like switchers more like GP's!

#198601  by Tadman

Check reporting marks - UPY is for yard units, and ex Mopac and CNW GP15-1's all have those marks. They are GP9 prime movers in a newer body with tunnel-motor style vents. They are also noisy as all hell because they aren't turbo and are very old. Great fun to watch shunting around Kingsbury Street in Lincoln Park or Chicago Heights.