Railroad Forums 

• The end of CP reign at the D&H and the D.M.&E

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1273171  by Autoblock

There have been many rumors of Binghamton to Kase and Binghamton to Schenectady. Until it happens its all rumors, but lets face it NS dominates 95 percent of that traffic anyway on those lines and CP's have been dwindling in the past few years. When it happens is anyone's guess but I would almost lay money down that its going to sooner or later.
 #1277874  by Minneapolitan

JayBee wrote:CP wanted out of the leases on the 6400 series.
What leases? If that's true, it's just more stupidity on CP's part. Those ICE 6400s are former BN units and, generally speaking, were better maintained and pull noticeably better than most of the DME units. Those are older and mostly former Milwaukee Road units. Generally speaking, they're a bit more run down. I mean, they came from the Milwaukee. Anyone who knows the DM&E well knows that every train needs every horse it can get due to the many large hills. And let's not forget the massive power shortage system-wide...
 #1278586  by JayBee

Minneapolitan wrote:
What leases? If that's true, it's just more stupidity on CP's part. Those ICE 6400s are former BN units and, generally speaking, were better maintained and pull noticeably better than most of the DME units. Those are older and mostly former Milwaukee Road units. Generally speaking, they're a bit more run down. I mean, they came from the Milwaukee. Anyone who knows the DM&E well knows that every train needs every horse it can get due to the many large hills. And let's not forget the massive power shortage system-wide...
The 6400 series were all former UP family locomotives, mostly UP proper, with at least one each from C&NW, MP, and MKT. Yes they were in the best condition, with a very few exceptions, of any CP controlled SD40-2.
 #1290731  by johnpbarlow

newpylong wrote:Rumor is 4 Dispatcher desks on the CP are being abolished and the D&H North and South end is being combined. It will never work. Beginning of the end if you ask me.
That's the buzz on the Yahoo CPR Sunbury Sub and DandH forums. IIRC D&H North End dispatcher covers Central Bridge, NY to Montreal (?), including Albany Main, which is all CTC territory. The South End territory comprises two CTC sections and two Track Warrant sections from Central Bridge to Sunbury (Binghamton Container to CPF-648 and CPF-679 to CP-Kase at Sunbury). I listen to the CPR Sunbury Sub radio feed on Broadcastify in the morning quite a bit and the south end dispatchers hand out/roll up a lot of track warrants each day (30-50?) to process the 4 daily road freight pairs (with only 2 daily freight pairs on the track warrant section between Dupont and Kase) plus the Taylor Yard based local D=11 and DL interchange ops. Unlike D3 PAR/PAS ops, the SE dispatchers are very responsive to the calls from train crews and track foremen (question: CP crews/foremen use tones to get the dispatcher's attention but PAR doesn't - why is that?). But there can be long periods of silence interspersed between chats with ops crews and track foremen. I'm guessing the track warrant chatter in the CTC section north of Binghamton is much less given there are roughly the same number of daily trains but that's only a guess since I don't hear it. What do dispatchers do during the periods of silence between train/track crew conversations? Maybe there isn't a need for two dispatchers to handle the D&H traffic?

Edited at 3:30 PM EDT with Trainorders URL containing a little more grist for the mill: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... 15,3511762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;