Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

bostontrainguy

Re: Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBS

Post by bostontrainguy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm

With the collapse of brick and mortar stores and the rise of Amazon and Fed Ex and UPS, you would think the cardboard and packing materials side of the paper market would be growing strong. Any chance the Maine mills could convert to this?

Apparently the much toted torrified wood idea is not going very well from what I have read. This generated some real excitement when it was first proposed.

NHV 669

Post by NHV 669 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:46 pm

I would think there are already a vast amount of mills across the US to supply the need for packing boxes, etc. Working out in CA, I used to observe the bottoms of the boxes night stocking to see where they came from. The only local one I saw was IP, out of Auburn, of course already served by PAR.
Casey

NHVT 669 sits at the south end of the "Pompy" line in White River Jct., VT on 4/29/1993. Photo by Richard Roberg.

MEC407

Post by MEC407 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:15 pm

On the subject of cardboard boxes:

Volk Packaging in Biddeford, Maine is a pretty good-sized manufacturer of cardboard boxes. I'm not sure where they get their paper from. They're located in the Biddeford Industrial Park very close to the PAR mainline but it doesn't appear (based on current Google Maps imagery) that they have direct rail access at their facility, although they're certainly close enough to it if they ever wanted to use rail.
MEC407
Moderator:
Pan Am Railways — Boston & Maine/Maine Central — Delaware & Hudson
Central Maine & Quebec/Montreal, Maine & Atlantic/Bangor & Aroostook
Providence & Worcester — New England — GE Locomotives

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Sounds like an IRAP grant in the making ...
gokeefe

fromway

Post by fromway » Sun May 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Came through Easton, Maine today on US1A. Two lines of tankers sitting at the Cavendish site. Don't know if they have anything to do with the potato planting going on. Did not have the opportunity to check the placards. Also, saw a line of tankers sitting between the McCain French Fry plant and Huber. Don't know if they have glue or cooking oil. Surprised to see this many cans sitting around. They didn't look like they were being stored.

Return to “Central Maine & Quebec Railway (formerly Montreal, Maine & Atlantic / Bangor & Aroostook)”