Railroad Forums 

• Maine Northern Railway (ex-MMA lines operated by EMR/NBSR)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1363715  by Cowford

If the cars are empty, that would be more accurately described as just plain old "S" :wink:

To BandA's question, it's not uncommon for owners or lessees of private equipment to lease track from a railroad to stage or hold surplus equipment that won't fit within a loading facility. Leases vary in scope (meaning number of track-feet included), price and term (from, say, one month to multi-year). The track leased could be a specific track or a "virtual" track, meaning the lessee is allotted X track-feet in Poncha Springs. It may even be written that the track leased is track 3 in the Poncha Springs yard, but the yardmaster (or whomever) is open to place the cars wherever they fit best within the terminal. In my experience, this is provided (sometimes reluctantly) as an assessorial service by a carrier without commercial link to loaded moves.

Receivers will also lease trackage to hold excess inventory outside their gate. Doing so allows the receiver to avoid punitive demurrage charges associated with a railroad holding private cars in a yard on constructive placement. I guess you could argue that this would technically storage-in-transit, but SIT in its purest sense is the staging of product beyond its loading point in anticipation of an order.
 #1372150  by doublestack

Maine Northern Railroad southbound on the Millinocket sub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l0JZYEDXIg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CMQ southbound on the Millinocket sub.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bwz_mlI8vA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Videos by Maine Rail Fanner
 #1372224  by fogg1703

jjoyce1 wrote:
fogg1703 wrote:Are the boxes JM Huber loads?
No, every single one visible in the CMQ video was loaded at Madawaska, per CSXT trace...

JAJ
Wow great news there...I hadn't realized that Twin Rivers was again using rail in Madawaska.
 #1372280  by jjoyce1

fogg1703 wrote:
jjoyce1 wrote:
fogg1703 wrote:Are the boxes JM Huber loads?
No, every single one visible in the CMQ video was loaded at Madawaska, per CSXT trace...

JAJ
Wow great news there...I hadn't realized that Twin Rivers was again using rail in Madawaska.
Yes, I think they have for some time, perhaps ever since MMA exited that segment of line and Irving took over. From what I can tell in tracing boxcars assigned to paper service on the CMQ/NBSR, loads out of Madawaska are somewhat sporadic, sometimes one or two at a time, other times a bigger slug. Not ratable or consistent by any means. The carloads in the video were loaded from roughly Feb ~14-~18 from what I can tell. I hope this helps, if anyone with boots on the ground can confirm further it'd be appreciated.

JAJ
 #1372786  by jjoyce1

fogg1703 wrote:Mr Joyce any info on destinations of said Twin River loads? Curious if they were central New England bound or further west, i.e. Mid Atlantic or Mid West.
About the only New England destination for that Madawaska paper I've noticed consistently has been Ware, MA on the MassCentral (consignee Kanzaki Paper). Those loads always ply the WACR via the Newport gateway. But again they're somewhat sporadic. In the case of the job in the video that started this discussion, here are the station name destinations according to CSXT:

Chicago, IL
Spartydos, SC (Spartanburg?)
Spartydos, SC
Bayonne, NJ
Wespvrr, MA (Westfield - Pioneer Valley....a car taking the Newport gateway to reach CSXT rails)
[no destination showing - I'm not party to the waybill] ... this means the destination is on CSXT rails but I can't see where
Croydon, PA
Croydon, PA (I'm on the CMQ 4331 now)
Spartydos, SC
Croydon, PA
can't see last boxcar marks to trace

Hope this helps. So generally northeast/east coast destinations.

JAJ
 #1385272  by gokeefe

MNR continues to have success bringing (or keeping) online customers. I was impressed to read this in the Bangor Daily News:
The DOT also granted $7,382 to MPG Crop Services in Presque Isle to rehabilitate track siding along its fertilizer warehouse, allowing the company to resume taking rail deliveries, according to the department.
 #1386116  by fogg1703

I'd say it's the one "downtown" as the Maysville Rd silo facility regularly receives cars and the BDN article states the rehab will restore rail service to MPG. I haven't seen anything on the MPG siding adjacent to the yard in town in years (tank car) and an aerial of the area shows the siding in rough shape.