Railroad Forums 

• San Luis Central Railroad Company, owned by MMA?

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#273207  by CN9634

Yes. Well, the company that owns the MMA owns SLC. I believe they mostly use the reporting marks. The actual line is very small out west. I've seen a former CDAC on that line before (A picture of course).

#273408  by Realityrail

Almost right!

The MMA does not own the SLC. Ed Burkhardt owns the SLC and is one of the investors and chairman of the board of the MMA.

MMA's box cars using the SLC marks are doing so because the car hire on older (termed grandfathered) cars is higher IF the cars are marked for a short line. Had those cars been marked for MMA, the car hire revenues would have been drastically reduced. Usually, the short line reporting marks are paid for on a per car per month agreement of less than $5 per car.

The CDAC units were owned by Rail World Locomotive Leasing which is owned by Ed also. These units were sold to the San Luis & Rio Grande (SLRG) which is not owned by the SLC, but is the SLC's connection to the UP.

#351680  by ShortlinesUSA

And here is a shot of the little potato hauler, the SLC. I photographed this on a visit to the SLRG, with the purpose of getting the ex CDAC F40Ms in action, which I was never able to do while on home rails and the demise of Iron Roads. Success at last!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=166237

#368144  by consist

Didn't the deprescription of car hire rates occur a long time ago? I thought it happened back in the 90's, but shortlines were given a 10 year grace period, which has since ended. I know that's why all the Golden West Service fleet, which SP ran with leased marks from shortlines (GVSR, VCY, CRLE) in an effort to stave off the UP takeover, are all being changed back to UP-owned marks (SP, SSW, DRGW) because the leasing of shortline marks no longer confers any advantage. Was deprescription not a nationwide/industry-wide scenario?

#368231  by Realityrail

You are correct, but some cars have "grand fathered" rates as long as they are placed with railroads of less than Class 2 status. By applying SLC marks to the former QC (CP) marked carss, the cars still carry the higher car hire.

#368232  by Realityrail

You are correct, but some cars have "grand fathered" rates as long as they are placed with railroads of less than Class 2 status. By applying SLC marks to the former QC (CP) marked carss, the cars still carry the higher car hire.

#370721  by emd_16645

ShortlinesUSA wrote:And here is a shot of the little potato hauler, the SLC. I photographed this on a visit to the SLRG, with the purpose of getting the ex CDAC F40Ms in action, which I was never able to do while on home rails and the demise of Iron Roads. Success at last!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=166237
There are 3 F40s in service for the MMA, primarily working the 202/203 turn from Northern Maine Junction to Millinocket. 2 more are reportedly serviceable, but stored at Derby.