Railroad Forums 

• forum title

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#51  by MEC407

Shouldn't the title of this forum be Montreal, Maine & Atlantic? Bangor & Aroostook does not exist anymore.

#898  by thrdkilr

What happened to B & A? I lived up in Maine years back and I always thought the B & A had the coolest color schemes (red, white & blue), great enviorment, and operations. I thought it was a profitable operation (un-like the Maine Central). Tell me the new owner is not Gulford, I have disliked them since they did in the line through the notch. Have they killed any branches? Thanks for any feed back....
 #909  by camster202

I think they might've killed off some branches, if not whole ones, at least parts of them...the Rumford branch in Maine is pretty profitable I heard once, with a daily train to Portland and back.

#1056  by MEC407

The Bangor & Aroostook went bankrupt a couple years ago, and was bought by Ed Burkhardt, former head of Wisconsin Central. He renamed it Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway.

It has been known as the MM&A for well over a year now.
 #1327  by fhirsch

MMA stretches from Searsport on the Atlantic coast of Maine up to Fort Kent and Madawaska at the northern tip of the state with a branch at Squa Pan which goes north to Caribou. Also a branch from Oakfield to Houlton in Aroostook County. Along the former CP, it stretches west to Montreal and from Farnham Quebec down to St. Johnsbury, Vermont. I heard Ed Burkhardt himself announce MMA started turning a profit last August after taking over the bankrupt Bangor & Aroostook only eight months earlier.
 #1410  by sandpvrr

Hello All,
MM&A's corporate website is still not up, so I usually direct those who are looking for information on the MM&A to my site:
http://www.rrnne.net
Have fun all!
cya, Joey
--Joey Kelley, Webmaster - RRNNE.net

#3395  by camster202

Joey or anyone who can field this question...

About how many miles of track does the MMA own? From the description it sounds as they own quite a bit.