Railroad Forums 

• MMA painted locomotive!

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#172839  by MEC407

#173859  by MEC407

Ayuh! :-D

#174007  by Ejen34

I understand there will be some sort of press release or PR event at NMJ to promote this new livery, from an email Rod sent me...no details as to time tho.... I am keeping my eyes and ears open!!!

#174010  by MEC407

Please keep us posted!
 #174183  by viafan

Having just looked at the new paint scheme - Im impressed (not surprised, given the ownership, but impressed). hope to see this in Houlton or Oakfield soon.

Harold Nicholson

#174878  by Richard Glueck

Nice combination of Heritage and modern rai paint. MMA deserves our thanks for doing a nice job on the loco.

#175008  by mc367

You know I didn't care for it much (at least how it only had "MMA" and was not spelled out on the side) but after awhile it grows on you a bit, look foward to seeing a bunch on #1 on the Moosehead Sub.

-Justin

#176249  by murray83

hmmm i'm not a big fan of it myself, but for the past week i was pondering the same idea kinda useing iron roads BAR paint scheme.

blue,grey,blue with the black underbody and montreal maine & atlantic spelt out and a yellow shield on the cab

oh well maybe in ho scale :wink:

#176280  by Realityrail

Guys!

Where on the side of a GE, given the radiator intakes and fresh air intake screens, can you spell out MONTREAL MAINE & ATLANTIC?

Seems to me there is no room for such a long name.

#176289  by MEC407

Technically it could be done, but they'd have to use a very narrow typeface.

Here is a drawing I made a few days before the "real one" was revealed to the public:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/m ... 8_8592.gif

#176497  by mc367

MEC407 wrote:Technically it could be done, but they'd have to use a very narrow typeface.

Here is a drawing I made a few days before the "real one" was revealed to the public:
See now I think your own to something, I think the addition of "Montreal Maine and Atlantic" would help, but I'm not going to let that get in the way. I'm just happy that MMA has a paint scheme, and an image.

-Justin

#181523  by douellet

I'm glad to see that the MMA has finally started painting its locomotives. I hope that it means things are looking up for the company. Lets hope so. All things considered its much better then the big G scheme we see on the other railroad in the state. And by the way what is with those Pan Am boxcars? Airline logo on railroad cars, you can't make that up!

#182373  by oibu

With all due respect to anyone at MMA who physically worked on the paint job for this unit and did a fine job in the execution- the workmanship is fine, but as for the basic concept -Not impressed... the big block "MMA" looks amateurish at best, the "image" is simply that of the WC and has no relevance or nod to the B&A's heritage. This is obviously just a quickie Burkadt & Co. move with no thought given to developing an actual MMA image.

As far as I'm concerned, they just took an MMA unit and painted it in the WC scheme with the appropriate lettering changes. And it took HOW long to do it?

Come on guys, by now we should have an attractive new design for an MMA scheme being applied to the whole fleet as they go into Derby for work, not one unit with the WC scheme hastily slapped on with "MMA" reporting marks...

But, if the management doesn't care, it won't get done...

#182489  by Realityrail

Well boys, it all boils down to who has the say so AND the money. Ed Burkhardt really likes those colors. They were used on the WC, in England on the EWS and in Australia in the WC's days.

Now they are on Ed Burkhardt's new ventures: The Estonian Railway, Rail Polska and MM&A. (see www.railworld-inc.com) They are classy, and reflect the common theme. Any time I see an old WC unit or pictures from over seas, I think what the man does--he takes railroads that are crumbling and under utilized and makes them better.

As far as the big block letters, that is a font known as GRAND CENTRAL (sounds a little like a railroad related font!) Bob Grindrod, President and CEO of MM&A chose that for all MM&A lettering on freight cars, locomotives, stationary, business cards, etc.

As far as revelence or a nod to the B&A, the shiled out line tells it all. Was the B&A a good railroad? It was at one time. But the time for new blood, new managers and a new image came at the begining of 2003.