Railroad Forums 

• CMQ Track work

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1302673  by CN9634

Wondering if anyone in Canada can comment, but recently told everything between Montreal (Iberville, PQ) and Brownville Jct is at least 25MPH (some 40MPH). Same for the line down to Newport, VT. Also, quite a bit of trackwork still going on in Maine to do the same between NMJ and Brownville Jct. Even still, ballast cars have been flowing off PAR onto CMQ up towards Brownville. It would seem the relationship between the two (or three if you count NBSR) railroads is taking off. Some rumors that you may see either dark blue PAR motors at Brownville Jct or Bright Green motors at NMJ in the coming 2015.

Also PS, it's almost 2015... time flies and soon we'll be seeing CMQ's first anniversary
 #1302781  by BAR

I am curious about use of the word "motor" to describe a diesel electric locomotive. I always thought that motor was generally used to refer to straight electric locomotives where the electric motors draw current from catenary or third rails. Diesel electric locomotives use a diesel engine as the prime mover to generate electricity which powers the electric motors geared to the wheels. To me a diesel electric is an engine, a straight electric a motor, and either a locomotive.
 #1302804  by mwhite

Some work is also being done south of NMJ as evidenced by new ballast spread on sections of track in Winterport (and possibly other places).
 #1303666  by jwhite07

I am curious about use of the word "motor" to describe a diesel electric locomotive.
Depends on the railroad. It's kinda like caboose/buggy/cabin/hack/van/crummy etc. I'm with you on the engine vs. motor thing, definitely, but there are railroads that use the term "motor" no matter what's under the hood. It just might be the jargon in that neck of the woods, or wherever the OP is from.
 #1303901  by BandA

If you only have one type of locomotive, you can use terms synonymously. If you have electrics, diesel-electrics, turbos, etc. then you need to be more precise. Try to keep jargon to a minimum, unless it is more fun.
 #1319100  by CPF363

Is their any insight as to what track work the CMQ plans to do on their system this coming summer and where that work will be focused?