Railroad Forums 

• Acela Speeds

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1055244  by TAMR213

Not for nothing, but CETC-8 is busy pretty much every night giving OOS track to multiple Track Foremen between Menlo and Midway.
 #1055279  by 25Hz

After looking at both the ICE train is clearly going faster. Tracks 1 and 4 have a 110 mph speed limit through hamilton as well as the rest of the airport to trenton corridor if i'm not mistaken?

I was walking to the gravel parking lot at hamilton last november when an acela passed through westbound at full speed, it was definitely slower than that ICE train in the video by at least a few mph if not more.

I am curious as to if the outer tracks will be upped to 125 and the inner tracks to 160... 4 tracks to 160 with the amount of transit trains that use them sounds expensive.
 #1068922  by acelaphillies

From the August/September Amtrak Ink:
Amtrak Ink wrote:High-Speed Testing in New Jersey

Date: September 2012
As part of the $450 million Amtrak received to upgrade Northeast Corridor infrastructure, high-speed testing of 165 mph Acela Express trains will begin in September between Trenton and New Brunswick, NJ
Sweeeeet!!! :)
Do you think these tests will be ran on weekdays, weekends, and/or nights?
 #1068929  by Matt Johnson

Wow, awesome! Unfortunately I won't be around to see it, but if any of the test runs occur in daylight hours I'm sure the videos will start showing up on youtube in no time! :)

Any chance they might push it another 7 mph or so and break the old UA Turbo record? ;)
 #1068953  by acelaphillies

Matt Johnson wrote:If any of the test runs occur in daylight hours I'm sure the videos will start showing up on youtube in no time! :)
Haha, I'll probably (and hopefully :) ) be one of them!
Matt Johnson wrote: Any chance they might push it another 7 mph or so and break the old UA Turbo record? ;)
That would be pretty awesome, and it would also be good publicity for Amtrak and the Acela.
 #1069018  by AEM7AC920

acelaphillies wrote:From the August/September Amtrak Ink:
Amtrak Ink wrote:High-Speed Testing in New Jersey

Date: September 2012
As part of the $450 million Amtrak received to upgrade Northeast Corridor infrastructure, high-speed testing of 165 mph Acela Express trains will begin in September between Trenton and New Brunswick, NJ
Sweeeeet!!! :)
Do you think these tests will be ran on weekdays, weekends, and/or nights?
I would say when there is the least amount of traffic... Nights, weekends etc etc
 #1069128  by morris&essex4ever

hi55us wrote:I can already picture the platform at Hamilton packed! Can't wait to see (ride?) it!
Princeton Junction should get plenty of rail fans too!
Maybe, the "testing" will be on Acelas in revenue service and the engineer will say, "This is a preview of what you'll experience when the upgrades are complete." :)
 #1069152  by Greg Moore

NRGeep wrote:I wonder if they have plans to eventually increase the Mansfield Ma area (presently 150mph) to 165mph?
I have yet to see any suggestions of that. I'm not sure if it's a lack of proper track geometry, other train interference, too short to be worthwhile or what.
 #1069176  by 25Hz

Oh my, that would be amazing to see, even if it was at 3 am on a sunday morning.

Please keep us posted! :)