Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

mtuandrew

Re: Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

Post by mtuandrew » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:53 am

This keeps being an issue. One table, sure, that makes sense as a crew workspace, but I’d rather they had a roomette-sized or bedroom-sized office where they could actually put up track charts and whatever they need on the wall. Two tables is ridiculous, and three tables like has been reported is infuriating. A one-table limit (while customers are waiting at least) needs to be added to the union contract and the onboard regulations. It would win Anderson a lot more immediate rider goodwill than any corridor improvements in the future!

ryanov

Post by ryanov » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:28 am

eolesen wrote:Actually.... there are contractual requirements for airline crews to be provided a suitable rest area on longer flights, and yes, blocking seats was not uncommon.
And still is. I've seen it on 767s at least in the last 2-3 years (even with signage stitched into the seats). It's somehow different than Amtrak, according to some folks on this forum.

I wouldn't mind seeing this become a permanent/well-delineated thing or number of seats/tables, if for no other reason than it would give my finger a break from scrolling past all of the complaining on this board.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|

BandA

Post by BandA » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:03 am

Take a snapshot of the three tables (preferably when the Amtrakers aren't there, or cut them out of the picture), and post it on twitter with the appropriate caption & hashtags & see what happens.

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Or ... You could send Amtrak an email directly with photos attached if you feel so inclined: http://www.amtrak.com/contact-us/email.html

If that feels insufficient you could also email the Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee to discuss this issue generally: acac@amtrak.com

Make sure to send the photos ...
gokeefe

markhb

Post by markhb » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Tadman wrote:
Plate C wrote:Anyhow, while I fully realize the romantic age of rail travel is essentially dead, that's what Amtrak sells. I mean look at the vintage Lakeshore ads they still use on the train and such.
You make a good point. If they are advertising the romance of rail travel and such is tenuous anymore, what are people travelling for and why not advertise that? I'm not sure of the answer, it's worth discussing. I travel for business and pleasure, and I take the train because it's nice to tune out for a while and work in a cabin or big comfy seat. It's also nice not to be dealing with anything airport/airplane, IE security, cramming into coach, the $50 taxi ride on either end of the trip, etc...
It has seemed to me for years that, given that rail is unavoidably slower and more expensive than air for LD trips, Amtrak should be marketing the upgraded experience. Everything you mention except the cab rides and working on the train is pretty universal, and there are also free Wi-Fi, the ability to get up and walk around, until recently freshly cooked meals, and in a sleeper you can do whatever you want with your partner without getting in trouble;) . Sell that to college students and "freedom years" people.
"...And then I thought, every time some company creates a more powerful locomotive does Superman become more powerful as well or is he stuck at 1938 locomotive power levels?" - A friend of mine elsewhere
Anything I post here is mine alone and does not represent the views of my employer.

R36 Combine Coach

Post by R36 Combine Coach » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:19 am

markhb wrote:It has seemed to me for years that, given that rail is unavoidably slower and more expensive than air for LD trips, Amtrak should be marketing the upgraded experience. Everything you mention is pretty universal, and there are also free Wi-Fi, the ability to get up and walk around, until recently freshly cooked meals, and in a sleeper you can do whatever you want with your partner without getting in trouble;) . Sell that to college students and "freedom years" people.
It has indeed worked as a selling point for the Canadian and Mountaineer.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.

andrewjw

Post by andrewjw » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm

gokeefe wrote:Or ... You could send Amtrak an email directly with photos attached if you feel so inclined: http://www.amtrak.com/contact-us/email.html

If that feels insufficient you could also email the Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee to discuss this issue generally: acac@amtrak.com

Make sure to send the photos ...
Directly contacting customer service privately is usually much less effective then public shaming...

Rockingham Racer

Post by Rockingham Racer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:49 pm

Apparently, as Amtrak is now doing with NS about handling their trains.

Mackensen

Post by Mackensen » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but a knock-on effect of the reconfigured dining is that Amtrak's being more aggressive about selling space in the transition dorm on the Capitol Limited. I'm aboard 30 (23) and I'd say there's at least a dozen of us back there. My first time in the transdorm. Both lounge cars (Sightseer and diner-lounge) are full and doing good business.

gokeefe

Post by gokeefe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:40 pm

andrewjw wrote:Directly contacting customer service privately is usually much less effective then public shaming...
You would be surprised at how well it actually works on the inside, especially if done through the right channels.
gokeefe

Maverickstation1

Post by Maverickstation1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:17 pm

Amtrak has finally updated the Dining Car information page on it's website.

For the LD trains that offer full dining car service the national menu is shown.

For the LD trains that offer a different menu like the Auto Train, Cardinal, and CONO they are listed on their own, as well as the Capital and LSL.

At the least this update takes away the impression that each LD train had their own menus.

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/meals-di ... g-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ken

STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:15 pm

Well, this makes a bit of sense, because we have:
  • Commuter trains (Keystone): No diner service.
  • Daylight/short haul trains (ex Pennsylvanian, Acela, NE Regional): Cafe service
  • Overnight trains (AutoTrain, Capitol Limited, Cardinal, City of New Orleans, Lake Shore Limited): Limited kitchen service
  • Long distance (multi-day) trains: Full kitchen service
You can tell where they're doing the boxed meal experiment, by comparing the Cap Limited and Lake Shore Limited with the other overnights.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?

bostontrainguy

Post by bostontrainguy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:53 am

I believe this ends the last vestige of the term "First Class" for sleeping car accommodations which was last used as the name of the sleeper menu on the Autotrain. Acela is the only train offering "First Class" now.

danib62

Post by danib62 » Mon May 13, 2019 12:37 pm

When taking the Capitol Limited from CHI to WAS how many meals are included with a sleeper reservation? Do you get dinner when you board, breakfast when you wake up, and lunch before arrival in DC?
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Mon May 13, 2019 3:33 pm

bostontrainguy wrote:I believe this ends the last vestige of the term "First Class" for sleeping car accommodations which was last used as the name of the sleeper menu on the Autotrain. Acela is the only train offering "First Class" now.
Ha quite a few countries offer a “first class” that is literally the second or third tier of service anyway.
Dig the new rr.net Instagram account: @railroad_dot_net

Return to “Amtrak”